Guerilla Gardening

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, I don't know what is going on with you right now. I just know I miss you.

It goes against my grain too, as far as using other peoples' property without their permission. That would include public property too as that is the people's property, even if a lot of it isn't cared for that well. But you've got me thinking.

First, I would not use a rare bean, use one you have plenty of. You have to be prepared for someone to just rip it out and toss it. I would not expect a harvest, but I'm not sure that's what you are after anyway, probably more spreading the beauty and joy of beans.

I'd then consider the Edgar Allen Poe approach, hide it in the open, at least where appropriate. Make a name tag, Latin and common name, and put that right next to the bean. Make it look like it belongs and help educate people. That might make some people think of it as not a weed, plus think how that will mess with some people's minds.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some very excellent ideas and thoughts you all have!

I think, for tagging, I'd have the variety listed on a sheet of paper and where i planted it.

GOOPPwap

gardening on other people's property without asking permission

:p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... mud-balls full of flower seeds in unexpected places. :)
And, @Beekissed is busy making seed tapes. But, I don't advise that or you may have my experience of struggling with the breeze, trying to keep the paper at the right depth until it can be covered. Ya don't want to be attracting attention like the opening of the Beijing Olympics with people running around with colorful paper ..!

I have had such good luck with pelletted seed and, BTW, with small seed mixed with cornstarch cooked with water, allowed to cool, and trickled in a furrow. The seed balls make sense to me.

There is actually a formula out there for them. I think it may even be associated with that term, "guerrilla gardening."

It isn't @Ridgerunner 's in-plain-sight, quite a distance from that. I was on a college campus being somewhat dismayed by the deer droppings littered about. It's something I imagine the grounds-keeper in NOT gonna do anything with.

Oh look! A squirrel ..!

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few years ago I heard about guerilla gardening in cities. These folks were making 'bombs' out of wildflower seed and (I guess) compost. They would load up a bunch and go for a walk, lobbing them over chain link fences into abandoned lots, dropping them along medians, even scattering them along those giant mulch beds near shopping centers and such.
I thought that was a great idea for beautifying the city. But your plan could actually provide food - if anyone notices and harvests it.
:thumbsup

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh boy @marshallsmyth,

Love your thread. This is going to be fun to watch the progress of your Gorilla or Guerilla, or is it GGGGGGGrrrrrrrriiilla gardening. I think this is the whole idea of this concept is not to ask permission if you can plant stuff but just stick it in and have it grow as a companion to whatever is already there.

Certainly hope this is going to to be Tony The Tiger GGGGGGRRRRRaaaate for you this year.

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish your efforts could be successful. I figure that if you ask to work a vacant lot, liability issues will raise their head and the owners will say no. If you don't ask you risk losing what you plant and tend. There should be some more rational opportunity for a gardener in nearly any community. I hope something opens up to you.

Perhaps finding an aging gardener who will appreciate having you do the work and share the produce with them?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i wish there were more areas that allowed for a 'community' garden like they do in parts of England. we have something like this in my town but for a lot of people it would be too far away to walk to get there.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, have you checked craigslist? Maybe you could post there and find someone willing to let you garden in their space.

Mary

Latest posts