~ HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD...? New madness ?? ~

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
#3 is interesting. I thought the idea of bottle water was how harmful well water or city water was. Never believed there was any difference in bottled water--too many reports it was just city water packaged in plastic bottles.
There was a campaign a few years back due to one of those bottled water companies--their slogan was, "Fiji: because it's not made in Cleveland." The city of Cleveland got a bit upset and compared the quality of their tap water to the Fiji bottled water. Turned out the Fiji stuff was full of arsenic. :rolleyes:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
seedcorn said:
#3 is interesting. I thought the idea of bottle water was how harmful well water or city water was. Never believed there was any difference in bottled water--too many reports it was just city water packaged in plastic bottles.
There was a campaign a few years back due to one of those bottled water companies--their slogan was, "Fiji: because it's not made in Cleveland." The city of Cleveland got a bit upset and compared the quality of their tap water to the Fiji bottled water. Turned out the Fiji stuff was full of arsenic. :rolleyes:
Another case of false advertising. You just know the stuff wasn't shipped from Fiji and so what if it was? Tropical rain forests aren't known for the purity of their water.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:) :)

I feel a little bit more optimistic this morning. I woke up to this news on the television this morning -- no, not about our new coalition government (though I'm rather impressed by their very impressive beginning yesterday)but by a report put out by a hospital trust in Nottingham, here in the UK:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8679192.stm

At long last an organisation has put into operation a plan so many of us hoped would happen, sourcing food locally, cooking it on site & getting appropriate hot good fresh food to the patients 3 times a day -- in the process they are also saving very substantial amounts of money, tens of thousands of air-miles plus bringing hope & jobs in local agriculture.

This scheme is working because there is a company who act as organising hub in sourcing the food locally. Without them it would not work.

Let us hope all the other hospital trusts are paying attention -- there have been a lot of worries lately as patients have been coming out of hospitals (or not! RIP ) suffering from malnourishment. Commonly the hospital trusts of this country out-source their meals & the patients are often faced by cold, unsuitable & inedible food filled which look totally unappetising. So they don't eat & there is no-one checking up on them. There have been a large number of deaths here in the UK in the last few years due to the combination of neglect & bad, unsuitable food.

As the article shows there could be really significant savings if similar schemes are rolled out over the country as well as helping with our difficulties in agriculture & allied jobs. Now we have to find help for the overworked nurses, to support the often elderly infirm patients to eat hopefully decent locally produced food.

Let us hope that this new government throws their energies behind schemes like this -- they certainly need to save money where they can.
I sincerely wish them luck.....:fl

:) Hattie :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
This seems like a win-win. What I don't understand is that South American beef is cheaper than British beef (unless there are tariffs I'm unaware of), so how can it be cheaper?

How does a hog producer stay in business losing money 10 years in row? In American, he'd be gone after about 3. I suspect that there is a lot of the story not told.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A few (maybe quite a few) years back Conrad Hilton tried to cut a deal with American hospitals where his hotel chain would run everything in a hospital not directly connected to health care. That would have included linen service, maintainance, janitorial services, food prep and serving etc. etc. He figured that using the hotel expertise of his organization he could provide superior service at a far cheaper cost. None of the hospitals were even willing to open discusions with him.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess some people have never heard of GATT, NAFTA or FREE TRADE as opposed to FAIR TRADE. Ah, the free market economy.where the pristine thought of unfettered privatization of public services, and the unstoppable creation of profit for the mega corporations is considered the pinnacle of civilization.

Dude! Its like having a football game without rules. What do you call it then? No rules, no sovereignty for any country, you move production where you may and a countrys laws are neutralized by an unelected entity.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/05/13-3 :cool: