Hay Moose!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
that looks about like where i used to live except they made their roofs steeper so the snow falls off and kills everyone... ok, just kidding about that last part, but more seriously... when the ice/snow did finally fall off the edges it would shake the house and scare the crap out of me.

they also built the houses about 5ft higher than grade where you would have the porch and first floor because by the time winter was close to being over you needed room to shovel snow off the porch.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good news is that roof is well insulated. You must be “moral” support as I don’t see you shoveling.... you haven’t changed from when you were a kid. Mom always allowed you to watch.

Kind of hard to take a picture of myself shoveling...and anyway somebody always had to watch to keep you and your twin from tumbling over the brink of disaster. Mom picked the responsible one. :frow :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would like him to get a roof rake so he could be on the ground, but our neighbors have one and they aren't impressed with it's effectiveness
We have a roof rake and I'm not too impressed either.

One thing, it isn't all that strong and if it was more stiff it would be heavier to pull the snow. Then, I will have to shovel around the house for access to get to every slope. The real problem is #3, that I have to get up on a ladder to have the proper angle to pull snow off some of the slopes. Great! I am trying to maintain my footing while working on a ladder with snow-covered rungs and probably pulling more snow down on myself with the rake. Howsomeever, my days for climbing around on a roof have fairly well passed.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like hubby could slide off! How many times a year do you have to remove the snow from the roof?

Mary

Depends on how much snow we get, and how wet the snow is, but when it gets knee high up there dh starts getting antsy. Some years we don't have to take it off at all, some years it's been 3 times.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny growing up the higher end homes had metal studs in roof, to keep snow from sliding off.

Some roofs have studs or little triangular 'stops' to slow the snow down when it does begin to slide. That would be on metal roofs. I've seen them on slate roofs also.
Ours is asphalt shingle. Snow would never slide off, just keeps getting deeper until the weather warms enough for it to melt.

Latest posts