1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Happy Autumn all! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Hay Moose!

Discussion in 'Gardening With Animals' started by thistlebloom, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dec 29, 2017
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

They are darn well camouflaged! Note; how to disappear in a forest of snow and ice......easy-just act like a moose!

ducks4you, Susannah, pjn and 2 others like this.
  2. Dec 29, 2017
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

camoose to vamoose! :)

3. Dec 29, 2017
    Susannah

Susannah Garden Ornament

Northern Rivers, New South Wales, Australia
    Wow, thank you for sharing your Moose photos - very interesting to see wildlife photos from other parts of the world...and love the pretty snow ones, too.

ducks4you, baymule and thistlebloom like this.
  4. Jan 2, 2018
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Well @Susannah , since you mentioned 'pretty snow' here's a few more just for you! Haha.

Nothing to do with moose, but it's my thread and I can hijack it I guess. No, wait! There was moose evidence this morning when I went out to feed. About 5 moose piles out on the shoveled paths and two big pee spots where they loitered around last night.

Frustrated by my new Alfalfa Austerity measures, they decided to tip prune my apple trees for me while they milled about trying to puzzle out my hay barricades.

I know, at the start of this thread I said I didn't mind a little sharing and I didn't begrudge their nibbling the alfalfa. And I truly don't, but they were starting to behave like that obnoxious relative that stays and stays and eats all the ice cream. So I retracted the welcome mat a few inches.

So besides that, today we decided to start the new year off by taking the snow off the house roof and the horse shelters. Dh is very leery of letting the snow get too deep because of all the roof collapses that were in the local news 10 years ago or so when we got record snow amounts. I personally dread the roof snow removal days because it's just darn hard work, involving lots of hours in contact with a snow shovel.

This pic below was Saturday. My two sidekicks and I were
    groaning about the depth of snow on the roof and dreading the big boss mans certain decision to remove it. Actually they weren't dreading it that much because they have never learned how to operate a snow shovel.

20171230_092239.jpg
    The boss getting started.
    20180101_091853.jpg
    One side nearly done.

20180101_111443.jpg

Then Kid#1 showed up unexpectedly, he needed to use our internet it seems, but first he grabbed a shovel and went to work. He took the snow off the two horse shelters, got on the house and helped his dad finish that up, jumped down (literally, doing a perfect back flip into a snow pile (!) wish I'd got a vid of it ) and helped me clear the huge piles off the sidewalk and from all the doorways. Youth is a wonderful thing! I love that kid! :love

20180101_091948.jpg

20180101_124607.jpg
    So, 5+ hours later we were done. Now we are sitting in front of the fire sharing our nightly Hershey bar. And moaning every time we have to get up.

ninnymary, Beekissed, pjn and 4 others like this.
  5. Jan 2, 2018
    Carol Dee

Carol Dee Garden Master

son sounds like a great guy , willing to help out without being asked.

6. Jan 2, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Hubby is right snow is very heavy. When the demon car was at mechanics snow made roof collapse all cars but demon car totaled

Beekissed and Carol Dee like this.
  7. Jan 2, 2018
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Good news is that roof is well insulated. You must be “moral” support as I don’t see you shoveling.... you haven’t changed from when you were a kid. Mom always allowed you to watch.

8. Jan 2, 2018
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

A steeper roof and would it all slide off? Do I see a remodel job looming in the future? LOL

Your son is a sweetheart. Nice of him to drop in and bring his youthful energy with him.

Carol Dee likes this.
  9. Jan 2, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Yes youth is a wonderful thing Can you imagine the ER visit if one of us tried a backflip

10. Jan 2, 2018
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

It's asphalt shingles, so no sliding.
    A metal roof would allow it to slide, but I don't know if our pitch is steep enough. We have tossed the idea around of replacing with metal when it's time to reroof.

It's kind of a catch 22. We don't like all the traffic on the roof, and the snow could have been deeper before it was a serious threat...but then it's even more work and we have rain/snow predicted in the forecast which would have made the snow heavier and getting around up there trickier.

I would like him to get a roof rake so he could be on the ground, but our neighbors have one and they aren't impressed with it's effectiveness.

baymule and Carol Dee like this.