Hello from MO

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Debbie! This is a good place to start reading...check out the archives.
We do enjoy conversing and tend to get a little distracted from the topic occasionally,
but it's all good and there is still a lot of good info.

Let me know how you manage that doing it right the first time thing, I've been doing this an embarrassingly long time and still don't think I have it down.
Just a slow learner I guess? Haha!

Debs Flock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks! LOL...conversing is always nice.

My biggest challenges will be drainage and soil conditions. It's unreal here. Everything is clay & rocks. I've lived all my life in MO, but coming up on just 5 years here & have always had real dirt rather than clay.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a good candidate for a raised bed garden. I don't do that kind of gardening but it's one of the most popular types of gardening on the forum. Hopefully someone can help out with details and photos of how they do it.

In Missouri you have time to put one together and grow something this year, a warm weather crop. Maybe tomatoes and peppers if nothing else. Beans can always be fun. Starting fairly small so you can gauge the time investment and learn how can help you avoid big mistakes.

Debs Flock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sounds like a good candidate for a raised bed garden. I don't do that kind of gardening but it's one of the most popular types of gardening on the forum. Hopefully someone can help out with details and photos of how they do it.

In Missouri you have time to put one together and grow something this year, a warm weather crop. Maybe tomatoes and peppers if nothing else. Beans can always be fun. Starting fairly small so you can gauge the time investment and learn how can help you avoid big mistakes.

That's a great idea! Raised beds. That will probably be less work than trying to amend my soil.

Thanks! (hope I did this quote thing correctly...still figuring it out.)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gardened in beds for years because we lived in town. We moved to 8 acres and now I have a large garden. You can buy started plants and have a small garden this year, just to get started. Welcome to the forum!

Debs Flock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yep, that's probably what I'll do. What do most people use to contain their beds?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Deb you should have been here a few years back when they changed the format of this forum. The way we were used to doing things changed, talk about a lot of bellyaching. it does take some getting used to, but we worked through it and figured it out. I'm still learning how to do some things and it's been years. What device you are using and your operating system or browser can make a difference in how some things work. Still, if you get hung up on how to do something, just ask. Somebody will probably help you out.

As long as you can quote and post photos, you'll do OK.

Debs Flock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's funny you mention that. I'm trying to get used to other forum type places in case BYC ever does an update.

Backyard Chickens was my first exposure to a forum/thread type of environment. I started there 2 years ago when I got ducks. I do know the basics there.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome. Join in. Couple of things:

What is this thing you speak of doing it right the first time? I'm still trying after many years. Gardening is a learning while under fire. Worst thing that can happen, a plant dies-which will happen anyway.

Proper St. Louis, is there an improper St. Louis?

Latest posts