Hello from MO

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome, from one Jefferson countian to another.
Where you located, I'm in Cedar Hill.

THANX RICH

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Washington state. Glad you joined. I prefer the large garden method lol, raised beds are nice also but I like the nostalgia of an old school garden.

Debs Flock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome from Washington state. Glad you joined. I prefer the large garden method lol, raised beds are nice also but I like the nostalgia of an old school garden.

Thanks for the welcome! Both type of gardens appeal to me. I'll likely try both. :thumbsup

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks! LOL...conversing is always nice.

My biggest challenges will be drainage and soil conditions. It's unreal here. Everything is clay & rocks. I've lived all my life in MO, but coming up on just 5 years here & have always had real dirt rather than clay.
Welcome to my world I buy manure by the dump truck hoping to make my clay drain a little better. Some members here collect rocks to bring back to their gardens.. I had a hard time believing there was places you could dig and not hit rock.

Debs Flock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome to my world I buy manure by the dump truck hoping to make my clay drain a little better. Some members here collect rocks to bring back to their gardens.. I had a hard time believing there was places you could dig and not hit rock.

Wait...there are places you can dig and not hit rocks!?? :ep

Welcome from the Cape Girardeau area. Glad to have you join us.

Hi there! Thanks for the welcome.:)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
hi Deb from another Deb! :welcome

heh. that was the issue i had last year when putting in my 600 gallon pond. you hit granite boulders & large stones if you try to go any deeper than 1'! it's why my property has a 'farmer's wall' around the outer edge. could only get the pond hand dug about 20" luckily with minimal moving of a few large rocks. the other 20" is above the ground since i decided i would make it a raised pond. now i'm looking at making raised beds to go along with it. 1st place is in front of the chicken coop to rebuild the sides of the run that started caving in from the horrible snow we got this last winter.

if you have ducks & put down shavings or straw that should be tilled in to help with the clay issue. organic matter (does not need to be certified organic), will greatly help to improve clay if you can get it worked into the 1st couple inches of soil. i know someone on here talks a lot about the 'lasagna' method of making raised beds, then there is the French Intensive method i've seen used locally. it's also known as double digging, biodynamic planting. the French method usually requires you to dig out some of the soil & replace it was rotting compost then layer the dug out soil on top of that. very similar to the lasagna method from what i've read.

Latest posts