Hello from South Eastern Pennsylvania!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from north Idaho!
I can't plant anything out until mid May at the earliest, but will be getting my seed starting going here in a few weeks.
Looking forward to hearing about your gardening this year!

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey @JalapenosinDelco if you don't mind, could you add your general location to your avatar? Because of the different climate zones, garden advice can vary widely between Texas and Pennsylvania and I might not remember where you live!
Welcome to the forums.. I highly agree on the suggestion.. like im in the Philippines.. and i cant get an accurate advice because of my location.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.. I highly agree on the suggestion.. like im in the Philippines.. and i cant get an accurate advice because of my location.
Yes, but if you list your location, we won't have a brain stroke trying to remember where you are! LOL :old I have a Filipino friend, she is a tiny little woman, and she will tackle anything! We raised 3 hogs, 1 for us, 1 for her and her family and 1 for another neighbor. She jumped right in and helped me slaughter hogs. The men stayed out of our way, we had long sharp knives! LOL LOL

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like I always start seeds too early, and they end up way too big before I can get them set out. Besides, my lights only cover a finite space. Gotta keep them all in the light. But by the time the tomatoes and peppers and annual flowers are taking up all the room, the early crops can be set out on the patio, first in the shade, then with increasing amounts of sun. So they are hardened off by the time I can get them in the garden.
So I think waiting till the end of Feb or mid March for the warm weather crops is good for my 6b zone.
Cold weather crops....uh....a week ago?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like I always start seeds too early, and they end up way too big before I can get them set out. Besides, my lights only cover a finite space. Gotta keep them all in the light. But by the time the tomatoes and peppers and annual flowers are taking up all the room, the early crops can be set out on the patio, first in the shade, then with increasing amounts of sun. So they are hardened off by the time I can get them in the garden.
So I think waiting till the end of Feb or mid March for the warm weather crops is good for my 6b zone.
Cold weather crops....uh....a week ago?

tomatoes it is ok if they get long and leggy before planting as they'll root out from the buried stems. we do this every year we plant and the hot weather and droughts don't affect them so much having more roots in the ground. with our heavy clay though i do need to water regularly to keep the ground from cracking or the plants from not getting enough water, but we get a fairly reliable crop so i think the methods i'm using are working just fine. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
With tomatoes you can continually up-pot them as long as you have facilities and containers. i don't. So with indeterminants I've pruned them back. Cut them back to a reasonable height depending n how soon they will go out. Some years that is pretty severe, some years not at all. This is just indeterminants but that's all I grow anyway. I would not do that with determinants.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Welcome from north Idaho!
I can't plant anything out until mid May at the earliest, but will be getting my seed starting going here in a few weeks.
Looking forward to hearing about your gardening this year!
Hi!! Welcome to the forums!! Thats so sad, I hope you can go-ahead and start earlier than youve expected... Well. I guess preparing your seeds is a great start. I hope to hear from you more as well!! :D:D:D

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just checking if there are any other nearby residents planting seeds to start this winter.
I was curious when you start the seeds indoors and when are you transplanting outdoors?
Thanks!😸
Winter planting. That sounds so cool!! What plants can grow throughout the winter? I want to know, I bet those are leafy greens? like peas and cabbages?

Latest posts