Hello from the Northwoods of Minnesota

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us. :frow

You may notice from a lot of the current threads we are not talking a lot about gardening right now. There are a few active gardening threads and we will crank it up when the season hits. Don't let that put you off. Join in the fun and sneak in some stuff about gardening.

In that vein and mainly for @seedcorn 's benefit, I've started kale and chard seeds for transplanting in late February or early March and plan on starting some sweet potatoes for slips in about a week. Do you start seeds indoors?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey buddy, it's about time we heard from you! You gardening this year? Collected anything interesting lately?
Hello thistle and all, yes we have grubbed and tilled the spot for the garden and applied 250lbs of bio char. I think we will put some composted manure on first thing this spring and see what happens!

CSigmund

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome, Celeste! :frow How far north are you? ETA: Yup, right there in the title...Minnesota!

That's a real cute pooch you have in your avatar. Looks like he's smiling. :)
Hello! I am up on the northshore of Lake Superior. Finland to be exact :) Right smack dab in the middle of the Sawtooth Mountains...yes...they call them mountains up here LOL!

CSigmund

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello Celeste, & Welcome to the forums.

Mentioning "northern" twice in your introduction prompts a reply but a location just about 100 "crow flight" miles south of 49° North latitude is a little misleading. Comparable winter temperatures with yours aren't likely the last few years. I can hardly remember winters without below 0°f until lately. It looks like single digitS' may be all we will experience again this winter.

However, you were talking about the gardening season so I can say that growing season warmth can compare with North Dakota ... admitting that makes me wish it didn't! We even squeezed past Fargo this year but it took high temperatures that broke many local records.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Our winter this year hasn't been cold either until about a week ago when we suddenly dropped into the double digit negatives! I worry about my horses but so far they seem to be doing ok.

Latest posts