Hello from the Northwoods of Minnesota

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure, baymule! Just because CSigmund and I are closer (by Texas standards) then you from the southmost part of your state doesn't mean we are near neighbors. Sheesh! None the less, I do have gardening friends in Minneapolis and relatives in Northern Wisconsin close to the MN border. Stranger things have happened.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was born in the tip of Texas, as far south as you can get in Texas. Sub-tropical! At least in east Texas we get a winter. Nothing like the zero temps ya'll are talking about, but winter enough for me! @Carol Dee you need to move to Texas!!!
Maybe somewhere in between! I do not tolerate heat at all well.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red @Carol Dee and @CSigmund I get it..... it's like someone who was going to fly in from Chicago one time.....I lived near Houston and she thought if she caught a flight to El Paso (it's in Texas, right?) that I could just scoot over there and pick her up. NOT!!

Carol, I guess you'd better skip Texas--maybe visit in the fall, winter or spring. Summer here is good practice if you've been bad in life and expect to go to he11 when you die. :lol:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was born in the tip of Texas, as far south as you can get in Texas. Sub-tropical! At least in east Texas we get a winter. Nothing like the zero temps ya'll are talking about, but winter enough for me! @Carol Dee you need to move to Texas!!!
Don't tell me you were born in Harlingen or La Feria?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't tell me you were born in Harlingen or La Feria?

Mary

I was born in San Benito. My family lived in Harlingen before we moved to Longview. My mother was raised in Weslaco and her father was a postman. Her mother worked as a secretary for a vegetable company. Sometimes her mother had to travel to Jacksonville, Tx to work the tomato harvest. My father was raised in several towns in the valley. His father was a sharecropper and the family was very poor. My Daddy's father would take him out of school to work in the fields and he never finished high school. When my Daddy was 10, his father put him to work (with him) chopping cotton for 10 cents a day. The men got 50 cents a day.

I haven't been back to the valley in many years. I remember the orange trees blooming, the air smelled so sweet! We would go across the border to shop and eat at the restaurants, it was a lot of fun.

Latest posts