Hello from the Northwoods of Minnesota

CSigmund

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
With you there! I've always told my students (ex-educator here) that being warm and properly dressed for winter weather is COOL! Looking fashionable and freezing is not cool! I was the only teacher prepared to take her students out for recess during the coldest parts of Wisconsin's winters. The other teachers insisted that any temperature or combination of wind chill and temperature below 10 degrees (F) was too cold for their poor babies.

Given the choice, most of my 4th and 5th graders wanted OUT for fresh air at recess time whatever the temperature.
I was a director of a Charter School ad our students went outside unless it was below 0! If I remember my childhood....(it was a long time ago) the weather never bothered me..cold, hot or otherwise :)

CSigmund

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey @Smart Red don't forget me! I am just a short hope south to Eastern IA. It is COLD this last few days. Below zero nights and single digit days. UGH. @CSigmund where about in MN do you live? Best coat I ever owned was a Carhart. :) I had a job transporting school lunches (23 years!) from the High School kitchen to 2 elementariness. Which involved being outside in ALL weather conditions. The poor old lift would freeze and barely move in cold weather so one had to be prepared to be out in it. :confused: Brrr. Glad to only be in the bus now (Well when the heater is working.)
Finland MN...about 75 miles north east of Duluth and 10 miles off the shore of Lake Superior so my zone is 4a but I do plan to steer more toward zone 3 plants for outside my greenhouse just to be safe

CSigmund

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Of course, as my signature shows, I, too, am a Southerner. From South-est, central-est Wisconsin.

A very cold, shivery Southern Wisconsinite.
I am a transplant from Southeast WI...Lake Geneva area!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, do you go out when it's that cold? Never been in single digits weather.

Mary
Mary, I only go out when I HAVE to. I stayed inside all weekend. Went out yesterday for Dr. Appointment and later to a meeting I could not miss. The water to kitchen sink is frozen for 2 days now. DH is not worried, I am.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a transplant from Southeast WI...Lake Geneva area!
Been there! Used to love Snoopy's Bar as a teenager. At least until my older friend got kicked out for being underage.

My D-I-Law used to work in Lake Geneva -- at the first tattoo parlor in Wisconsin. Back a few years ago all the rich kids from Illinois would go there for tats since they needed to be 21 in IL. Work went down significantly once IL went down to 18, too.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, you are a true Southerner like myself -- Southern Wisconsin. Yup! You'll fit in just fine.
Welcome aboard Celest ! Hey, then I am a true Southerner too... since I now live in South ( West) Washington and about 15 miles from the Columbia River from Portland, Ore. border. But without the extream HEAT of the South. A Northerner and a Westerner too since this area is known as the PNW ( Pacific North West ) ! ;)

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was born in the tip of Texas, as far south as you can get in Texas. Sub-tropical! At least in east Texas we get a winter. Nothing like the zero temps ya'll are talking about, but winter enough for me! @Carol Dee you need to move to Texas!!!

Latest posts