Help With Plumbing On Fountain

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy understand hiring a plumber. Fixing it is very simple. Gluing on a valve is extremely simple. Ask yourself:

Can I cut the pipe straight?
Can I clean the pipe to glue?
Can I buy the correct valve and glue at a store?
Can I place glue on the pipe and put the valve on?

If any answer is, I don’t know, hire a plumber.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alex, you got this.
Just take that picture into your favorite hardware store and ask them to sell you what you need to fix it.
At least try, and if it doesn't work out, then call a plumber. But don't give up until you give it a go. PVC is very easy to work with.

measure it too. :) [edit, the pvc pipe, not the fitting stuck on the end of it]

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alex, you got this.
Just take that picture into your favorite hardware store and ask them to sell you what you need to fix it.
At least try, and if it doesn't work out, then call a plumber. But don't give up until you give it a go. PVC is very easy to work with.
I can bring photo to store. With cell phones that makes it so EZ. Down the street from me is the only hardware store left ( have 5 home depot within 10 minutes) The older gentleman who owns store is very knowledgeable and helpfull.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can bring photo to store. With cell phones that makes it so EZ. Down the street from me is the only hardware store left ( have 5 home depot within 10 minutes) The older gentleman who owns store is very knowledgeable and helpfull.

ok, hold ruler up to pipe as taking picture. at least that gives the guy some idea of
what size fixtures...

you'll also want some disposable rubber/exam gloves to keep glue off yourself as it can be a mess if you don't... much better than having to use solvent to clean up after...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe you can bribe him with takeout lunch and he can do it for you! At least ask!

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
First step, take a photo with a tape measure so the guy at the hardware store can tell what he is looking at. He will need a size. See if he has a cap that you can just screw on to seal it. Don't do anything that blocks it permanently, you will want to drain it at some point, maybe to prepare for winter.

That stuff is really easy to work with. If you know what to do it's not hard. You can watch U-tubes for the procedure and maybe be able to fix it yourself. But your time is also valuable and that can get really frustrating when you don't know what to do. Getting a plumber to start with might be easiest on your nerves.