Herbs growers?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a main garden that's is near our 'tea garden'. It's about a 8' x 4' plot with a mix of herbs growing. We put a bistro table and 2 chairs out there and it is the backdrop for some nice breakfasts and dinners with an occasional lunch. There we have mint, chocolate mint, tarragon, parsley, basil, thai basil, thyme, sage, rosemary, rue, cilantro (well it's coriander now) and lavender.

We also have herbs planted throughout the garden, basil here, parsley there. Not to mention the potted stuff near the back porch so we don't have to walk out back (even though it's maybe 50 feet away) when we need something.

OHChick

Sprout
Reaction score
i have mine in pots on the porch. Genovese Basil is in a hanging basket, dill, parsley and some cinnamon basil are in containers. :)

vltaber

Sprout
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Mine are planted in a "flower bed" too. There is this bush in their bed that I am trying to get rid of because I hate it and it makes a shade and everything. I think that's the main reason my herbs aren't thriving as much as they normally would. But they are doing OK. I get sage and thyme, lavender & mint (and the dreaded tarragon) to use whenever I want it.

Cassandra
A bit off topic, but why is tarragon "dreaded?" I've been trying to grow seeds of it in my herb garden and finally got one strong plant. Is it like mint?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine are in a window sill in the house. I only have parsley and basil though... I will expand next year when my husband installs an outdoor window outside my kitchen window. I'd love to just reach out and pluck something to cook with :p

As for tarrigon? I have no idea why its dreaded. I have some in jar.. but I only use it for my stuffing?! Very minimal uses around here.

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have thyme, rosemary, lemon balm, peppermint, marjoram, lavender, sage, and another herb which Ive forgotten what its called. Im planting borage, lemon verbena, verbena, and chamomile next year to add to the herb garden. :watering

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have about 5 kinds of mint, my favorites being orange mint and chocolate mint. I grow about 6 varieties of basil, starting some inside early for the first crop and others planted outside in the middle of summer to use into the fall. I cannot get parsley to grow from seed but have lots of it growing from inside starts. I also grow tarragon, garlic and regular chives, oregano (easy!), dill (super easy!), cilantro, garlic greens, lavendar, lemon balm, catnip and probably some more that I can't remember. For some reason, I cannot keep rosemary alive if my kids' lives depended on it! But, I've never taken it out of the pot and tried it in the ground...

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I keep my tender herbs in pots, which I set out in the herb garden in the summer and in a south window for winter. I have a raised bed on the south side of the house which has my oregano, sage, chives, tarragon, lavendar, bee balm (oswego tea), and thyme. This year I added chammomile, lemon balm, and lemon verbena. The basil and rosemary are the ones I keep in pots to bring in when it gets cold. I have catnip and spearmint next to the back door in pots so they don't take over, they live on the enclosed back porch in winter.

THis fall I dug some sage, thyme, and chives and put in pots to keep indoors so I have herbs all winter. Hope they do ok, I've never done this before.

I now have a permanent bed tilled, mostly for asparagas, rhubarb, etc., but I think I'm going to plant some dill, too. A neighbor gave us some stalks this fall when I was making pickles, and it smelled wonderful!!

My biggest problem is keeping the oregano from taking over the whole garden - talk about the mints spreading everywhere, I think oregano is every bit as bad - this summer I found some oregano growing ten feet from the main plant - I have no idea how it got there. It had to navigate past my footpath, through the thyme, around the chives, and between the lemon balm and lemon verbena! That oregano is tricky stuff!

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
Mine are in a window sill in the house. I only have parsley and basil though... I will expand next year when my husband installs an outdoor window outside my kitchen window. I'd love to just reach out and pluck something to cook with :p

As for tarrigon? I have no idea why its dreaded. I have some in jar.. but I only use it for my stuffing?! Very minimal uses around here.
I love tarragon on pork. It doesn't need a ton of it, but I use sage, thyme, and tarragon together on pork chops or pork roast or pork tenderloin. Sometimes instead of tarragon I use a small amount of rosemary, but either way - YUM!

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vltaber said:
Cassandra said:
Mine are planted in a "flower bed" too. There is this bush in their bed that I am trying to get rid of because I hate it and it makes a shade and everything. I think that's the main reason my herbs aren't thriving as much as they normally would. But they are doing OK. I get sage and thyme, lavender & mint (and the dreaded tarragon) to use whenever I want it.

Cassandra
A bit off topic, but why is tarragon "dreaded?" I've been trying to grow seeds of it in my herb garden and finally got one strong plant. Is it like mint?
Oh, it is just a running gag. :) I really hate the taste of tarragon. (It tastes like root beer and licorice, both of which I detest!) :D

I'm afraid I may have managed to kill it this year. It's looking awfully bedraggled. It does have a little yellow flower on it, though. I'm going to be moving mine when the temps get a little cooler. They are all getting more shade than I anticipated and not doing as well as I would like.

Cassandra

Latest posts