Hi from New Zealand

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...probably not, seeing as they havent bothered to answer personal communications about these sort of things.

well, i did get the changes made, we'll see if they stick. i have talked to Bill via e-mail so he is around still but very busy with the online permie certificate course and says that after that is done he hopes to be back and more active again.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thats good. I managed to track down Terra before I gave up and he did come back, so hopefully he is still there and helping Bill out now.
I'm finding the words dont flow like they used to so arent anywhere else now. I think I'm suffering from slack rubber band syndrome- thats where you've been flat out for so long and looked forward to the day you had more time...but when you do, not much is getting done.
I need to put a routine in place to kick start myself again, instead of wandering round the yard watching the birds, bees and other small inhabitants. lol

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thats good. I managed to track down Terra before I gave up and he did come back, so hopefully he is still there and helping Bill out now.
I'm finding the words dont flow like they used to so arent anywhere else now. I think I'm suffering from slack rubber band syndrome- thats where you've been flat out for so long and looked forward to the day you had more time...but when you do, not much is getting done.
I need to put a routine in place to kick start myself again, instead of wandering round the yard watching the birds, bees and other small inhabitants. lol

if you've been overextended for a while it's ok to recharge. to me as a kid ants and bugs were my youtube/rabbit hole. i could watch them for hours. i'd take a metal legged chair to watch the red and black ant hills battle it out (the black ants always lost).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
sorry to hear about the volcano injuries/deaths @Trish Stretton.

kind of like the quote from the Hobbit about dragons “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” also applies to volcanos...

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sorry to hear about the volcano injuries/deaths @Trish Stretton. kind of like the quote from the Hobbit about dragons “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” also applies to volcanos...

I did get to visit the Island about 18 months ago. It is a weird place.
They should not have been there given that there had been more activity noted....It is a dangerous place at the best of times and its history is well documented.

Before we left for the Island, we were told that there is always a possibility that it can erupt without warning.
Activity levels had climbed and been noted so an alert should have gone out to warn people that it was dangerous to go onto the Island. There was most definitely a higher chance of eruptions, with the rise in activity.

I feel sad for those who are alive and now have to go through the trauma of healing and for the families who have lost loved ones. This may sound odd, but those who have died, I honestly feel are in a better place now.

Traditionally, volcanoes have been treated as sacred- Tapu.....apparently the origin of the Taboo. The original word does have more conceptual connotations than sacred.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did get to visit the Island about 18 months ago. It is a weird place.
They should not have been there given that there had been more activity noted....It is a dangerous place at the best of times and its history is well documented.

Before we left for the Island, we were told that there is always a possibility that it can erupt without warning.
Activity levels had climbed and been noted so an alert should have gone out to warn people that it was dangerous to go onto the Island. There was most definitely a higher chance of eruptions, with the rise in activity.

I feel sad for those who are alive and now have to go through the trauma of healing and for the families who have lost loved ones. This may sound odd, but those who have died, I honestly feel are in a better place now.

Traditionally, volcanoes have been treated as sacred- Tapu.....apparently the origin of the Taboo. The original word does have more conceptual connotations than sacred.

sadly to say, i do too, severe burns are some of the worst injuries. i have never visited a volcano and am facinated by them. i suspect that if i were to do so i'd manage to do something stupid or clutzy and end up as an example to others and a sacrifice to Pele...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was downwind about 200-300 miles from Mount Saint Helens when it erupted.

I never want to go through that again. What to expect was too much of an unknown for nearly everyone here before the eruption. This goes beyond the foolish few who were on the mountain after several weeks of warnings. Most of those people were never found, what with the destroyed forests and massive floods from melting snow.

Downwind, what a mess! It wasn't as tho even just a couple inches of ash would simplygo away in a few days. Thankfully, it was a fairly wet summer after the springtime eruption. However, in the following year and during the dry season, a breeze would hit an evergreen tree right and a cloud of volcanic ash would blow off of it.

The first year, if the ash wasn't wet from rain or covered with snow, it would blow everywhere with any movement of living creatures or vehicles or a breeze. Everywhere. What a mess!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was downwind about 200-300 miles from Mount Saint Helens when it erupted.

I never want to go through that again. What to expect was too much of an unknown for nearly everyone here before the eruption. This goes beyond the foolish few who were on the mountain after several weeks of warnings. Most of those people were never found, what with the destroyed forests and massive floods from melting snow.

Downwind, what a mess! It wasn't as tho even just a couple inches of ash would simplygo away in a few days. Thankfully, it was a fairly wet summer after the springtime eruption. However, in the following year and during the dry season, a breeze would hit an evergreen tree right and a cloud of volcanic ash would blow off of it.

The first year, if the ash wasn't wet from rain or covered with snow, it would blow everywhere with any movement of living creatures or vehicles or a breeze. Everywhere. What a mess!

Steve

i can imagine, but once it settled in did you notice it helping your gardens? :)

how long did it take before you felt that things were back to normal again?