Home Repairs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have a roof problem or leaky pipe. Solve the moisture, solve the mold. Too bad so much cellulose is used in home building, wood frames and paper sheets over gypsum wall board, because moisture seems inevitable.

for a different place at a different time...

when they did the whole roof replacement they did tear out a lot of the damaged decking to get back to sound wood again. in the 12 years since the roof was replaced there were a few small very intermittent leaks that took us a long time to find (when something leaks only once every eighteen months or so it can be hard to pin it down).

so far since last late summer we've not had any more leaks that i've been able to tell. that the leak problem is though with our roof. we can't look at the decking from below via an attic so it always feels as if i can't ever be sure. which means i have a hard time getting the ceiling drywall fixed because it will be a pain to do and repaint and then if it is still leaking then would have to be done yet another time. arg...

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
for a different place at a different time...

when they did the whole roof replacement they did tear out a lot of the damaged decking to get back to sound wood again. in the 12 years since the roof was replaced there were a few small very intermittent leaks that took us a long time to find (when something leaks only once every eighteen months or so it can be hard to pin it down).

so far since last late summer we've not had any more leaks that i've been able to tell. that the leak problem is though with our roof. we can't look at the decking from below via an attic so it always feels as if i can't ever be sure. which means i have a hard time getting the ceiling drywall fixed because it will be a pain to do and repaint and then if it is still leaking then would have to be done yet another time. arg...
Use an infrared camera. They have become common and will show the cool spot of water. They also work the other way and can show heat leaks through the same holes.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Use an infrared camera. They have become common and will show the cool spot of water. They also work the other way and can show heat leaks through the same holes.

several years ago i suggested this to the roofing guys who were not finding the leaks very fast at all and they even said that they were going to a conference and seeing new gadgets, but that is as far as it went. in the meantime we had the improper vents replaced with much better ones (which solved two of the intermittent leaks) and then finally caulked the area properly where the last known leak was at (which is what i asked them to do about 7 years ago). etc...

it's really hard to find people who actually listen and do what you ask them to do.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I now have no gas , so cannot cook or wash. No one will assist from my landlords and they are responsible. I've lost £269 off my meter

The landlords claim that it's down too my provider who are not answering

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
229 at Amazon

Screenshot_20230416_105112_Chrome.png

But a 10 dollar laser thermometer reports the same wavelength in temp, just not pictures.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I now have no gas , so cannot cook or wash. No one will assist from my landlords and they are responsible. I've lost £269 off my meter

The landlords claim that it's down too my provider who are not answering
I cannot help with the wash but I have a 55 dollar gizmo that I use with my cast iron sometimes, especially when I am frying a lot of okra.

Grill Boss 90057 Dual Fuel Camp Stove | Works with both Butane and Propane | Perfect for Camping & Hiking | Emergency Cooking Stove | Single Burner 12k BTU Output | Single Burner Dual Fuel Camp Stove

https://a.co/d/9PRtnuJ

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You have a roof problem or leaky pipe. Solve the moisture, solve the mold. Too bad so much cellulose is used in home building, wood frames and paper sheets over gypsum wall board, because moisture seems inevitable.
They replaced the roof but didn't investigate the damage that would obviously would have happened through to the floor above.
There's no soundproofing and just sand between the floor above and my ceiling. The joists are continuously loudly creaking and my neighbours friend said the bricks and damp rot he saw was really bad.

The roof had not be changed or repaired for decades before my arrival.

During lock down on March 2020, a man from the rental company, who I might add was a very aggressive man, called me from a withheld number...He accused me of not speaking the truth about missing tiles and the leaks plus very lose guttering.

I had black mold appearing in my bedrooms, even beneath my bedroom floor. The guttering fell and almost hurt my gardener.

I begged them not too replace the wall installation because of the damp that had been left for such a long time. But the government had gavin them a grant and they continued to refill these walls without dealing with the mold left between the panelled walls. So this latest problem could have spread too either that instalation, or as my neighbours friend has already said, damp has seeped between into the floor above and my ceiling.

The creatures that accumulated in my kitchen, I believe came through this damp. But the superiors of health and safety claim they are flour and serial infestation. So no further help or support was given to me on this either

20230125_093651.jpg

20230125_091902.jpg

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I cannot help with the wash but I have a 55 dollar gizmo that I use with my cast iron sometimes, especially when I am frying a lot of okra.

Grill Boss 90057 Dual Fuel Camp Stove | Works with both Butane and Propane | Perfect for Camping & Hiking | Emergency Cooking Stove | Single Burner 12k BTU Output | Single Burner Dual Fuel Camp Stove

https://a.co/d/9PRtnuJ
Unfortunately this cannot be acquired today.

I have a funeral in the morning and this has just devastated me.

Latest posts