How are Things in the Tomato Patch?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
6486_dscf3968_web.jpg

Guess what I'll be doing all day tomorrow! :weee

I gotta tell you, I've got a new favorite in the tomato patch. I am LOVING these Black Krims! (Thank you to Broke Down Ranch who surprised me with them when I couldn't make up my mind in a trade.) I love that they have a heirloom table tomato taste without being as watery as some of the others. They have a really low seed-to-flesh ratio and I think they'll make some fabulous salsa.

The Cherokee Purple are tasty too, but split so badly, which makes them poor keepers.

Delicious will always be one of my favorites and a staple in my tomato patch.

I'm really enjoying these gigantic yellow Persimmon tomatoes too. Definitely reserving a spot for them in next year's garden.

Haven't gotten many Giant Pink Belgiums yet. Still reserving judgment on those.

Got another tasty yellow heirloom off of my neighbor, but neither of us can remember what she told me it was called. Yellow...something.

I've not been too impressed with the Genovese Costoluto. They are pretty and fluted, but they seem to be prone to some type of blight/fruit spot that the others are not getting. Not much to say about the San Marzanos yet either as I haven't gotten many of them yet. I imagine they'll taste better cooked than fresh. They are pasty, as they are supposed to be. I really messed up my my row of these last two. Too crowded and my trellis gave way under the weight. They are not happy to be on the ground, but there's not much I can do about it now! :p

I wouldn't say that heirlooms are less productive, really. When you consider that one of them equals 4 or 5 other hybrid tomatoes. My plants are heavily loaded and the bamboo is NOT working out too well under all that weight. Stakes or cages next year!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I was out pulling weed tonight and started pulling around the tomatoes and happen to look up at the tomato plants and saw nothing but a see of tomatoes. I took a count on the one plant and I was up to 50 Roma tomatoes and the rest are gust as full. So I guess it would be safe to say ♫♪ It's been a good year for the Tomatoes ♫♪

Chris

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had my first Jaune Flamm tomato today and the 2nd Mr. Stripey (Tigerella)!

Both of these varieties are just loaded with fruit! There seems to be quite a lot of fruit on everything except the beefsteaks . . .

There was also a red cherry for the 1st time. I've got both Sweet 100 and Sweet Chelsea. The Sweet Chelsea plants are huge! I've always liked how Sweet Chelsea grows in my garden. It seems to like it here.

A handful at a time of the Sungolds and SunSugars but they'll be reaching a "hatful" sometime soon.

It isn't really fair to assess a variety based on a 1st fruit but I've been looking forward to having Jaune Flamm in my garden and on a plate for years! I couldn't understand why it had so many different days-to-maturity ratings but finally just decided to find out for myself if it can produce fruit early enuf for my garden. Looks like it and, what a nice flavor!!

Steve :)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought something was wrong with my black cherry tomatoes. They were getting all elongated and the top stayed green no matter how long I left them out.

It was just weird...until I checked with the Baker Creek website and saw my black cherry tomatoes were actually BLACK PLUM!

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Well at least they aren't diseased or deformed. Just the completely wrong variety. Since I planted romas for sauces, I really didn't want black plum. I wanted cherry tomatoes for my salad.

I sent an email to Baker Creek so I will let you know what they say. I just asked for a replacement seed packet or credit.

Is the universe trying to make me buy a canner or something?!?!?!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I thought something was wrong with my black cherry tomatoes. They were getting all elongated and the top stayed green no matter how long I left them out.

It was just weird...until I checked with the Baker Creek website and saw my black cherry tomatoes were actually BLACK PLUM!

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Well at least they aren't diseased or deformed. Just the completely wrong variety. Since I planted romas for sauces, I really didn't want black plum. I wanted cherry tomatoes for my salad.

I sent an email to Baker Creek so I will let you know what they say. I just asked for a replacement seed packet or credit.

Is the universe trying to make me buy a canner or something?!?!?!
Sorry to here about the mix up on the tomatoes.

Oh by the way, Do you want to by a canner? LOL :lol:

Chris

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:smack
:plbb

If I wasn't at high altitude I could do waterbath, but living where I am I need a pressure canner...so I aint doing it! You can't make me!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
:smack
:plbb

If I wasn't at high altitude I could do waterbath, but living where I am I need a pressure canner...so I aint doing it! You can't make me!
LOL.
My wife loves her pressure caner that I got her about 2 years ago.
Were not at a High Altitude but she still cans almost every thing with it.

Chris

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not all plums are paste tomatoes, Wife. Tomatofest makes the Black Plum sound like it might be called a "saladette" in their description.

DW was complaining that I hadn't planted her black cherries. (They were just hidden behind the other cherries.) I doubt if she will like them :rolleyes:. She is okay with sweet but she really wants m i l d tomatoes.

The Flamm that I allowed her a bite of - she claimed was too sour! I suppose that one might be called a plum. The Porters I've grown are saladettes and I have Lunchbox again this year, another saladette. These guys are too juicy for paste tomatoes.

Keep your fingers crossed; you might like the Black Plums ;).

Steve
who never canned a tomato in his adult life

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hubby and I tasted a few tonight. Taste-wise, they are good with a deep rich flavor...BUT...there is a big aftertaste tang to it. Hubby loves it. Me, not so much. I would still call these far superior to any store tomato, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

I will have plenty of tomatoes to work with so I will try them in my favorite mozzarella salad. That tang will most likely be ok when mixed with some fresh basil and oregano.

I will also try drying some. It will be interesting to see what that does to the flavor.

Latest posts