How are Things in the Tomato Patch?

1chichi

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
:welcome, 1chichi !
What's your secret? I've been hearing that the heirloom tomatoes don't do as well as hybreds. Last year, MY heirlooms produced next to nothing, but it was a really bad tomato growing year, so I don't believe that I used the Scientific Method to prove this out. :lol:
Your crop is lovely. :thumbsup
Thank you!
I have 4 cherokee purple plants producing now.
The one in the Self-Watering Bucket has produced the most.
This one is also in partial shade and gets about 6 hrs. of direct sun in the morning.
The one in the Square Foot Garden is doing well too.
All of them have a certain amount of Mel's mix in the soil.
It's a mix you blend yourself; with peatmoss, vermiculite, & a variety of composts.
I fertilize regularly with a time relase granules. I spritz them weekly with fish emulsion /seaweed and liquid calcium.
Oh, and there is the occasional spraying for bugs.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have septori leaf spot again. My tomatoes were looking great and they still are pretty loaded with tomatoes so I am just going to deal with it. Harvest them when they rippen and then just pull and burn the plants. This is my 3rd year of it and I have moved them every year. I am just going to come up with a new plan next year.

They are looking good though. I have a couple of hungarian hearts that are bigger then soft balls and they are finally starting to turn pink. By this weekend they should be ready.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awfully nice pictures, 1chichi!!

I had my first 2 SunSugars today and so, the face-off between SunGold and SunSugar begins anew!!

SunSugar isn't really supposed to be only 3 days behind Sungold but that's how it turned out . . . at least, for those very few fruits right down near the base of the plant.

Also, the 1st Early Girl with a serious blush has shown up.

I was noticing how the plants were once again covered with their tiny yellow star-like blossoms. Then the wind began to come up and there were gusts above 30mph and blowing dust. This happened 2 weeks ago with higher winds and all those flowers blew away! Maybe this won't be a repeat of that experience.

Steve

Edited to Add: I was bored with posting information about 2 cherry tomatoes at a time and decided to toss in this little photo from last year showing what I'm hoping for when the darn cherries really start to bear!

earlytomatoharvest001.jpg

Steve

1chichi

Leafing Out
Reaction score
the lemon tree said:
1chichi said:
Your CPs are gorgeous, compared to the two I just picked. Both had ugly splits more than halfway down. Lucky you!
Thanks. I've read Cherokee p. is prone to splitting, especially if allowed to dry out. But even the ones in the self-watering container split, and they have never been dry. I been trying to pick them a little earlier, and let them finish ripening in the house.
I wonder if the other Cherokee tomatoes are prone to splitting or if their skin is a bit thicker.

1chichi

Leafing Out
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Awfully nice pictures, 1chichi!!

I had my first 2 SunSugars today and so, the face-off between SunGold and SunSugar begins anew!!
Thanks.
Those are beautiful cherry tomatoes. I've never grown cherry tomatoes, but I do have grape and pear tomatoes though.
So which is better Sun Gold or Sun Sugar?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not the thickness of the skin, 1chichi. At least, I don't think it is :hu.

It's the elasticity of the skin, perhaps.

Some folks complain about SunGold splitting, for example. They don't split often for me but SunSugar just about never splits. Today, I am once again reminded that SS has a more tender skin than SG.

Okay, I'll get off the SG/SS thing . . .

Thessaloniki is an heirloom beefsteak that is known for not splitting. Porter is an heirloom saladette with the same claim to fame. Neither have heavy skin on the fruit.

Steve

edited: Oh, I gave up growing Yellow Pear after 4 years trying. The last season, I doubt if there was a handful that didn't split. Better results came from Ildi :).

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
jackb said:
I did not know MoneyMakers were a small variety, however, they have LOTS of fruit. :rolleyes:
That is funny, my moneymakers are my height (5'3"). When they were young plants I thought they were pathetic looking. Now they are as big as my Amish Paste and Rutgers. Much taller then my Mountain Princess and yes they are loaded. So far they are still green but I really like them and will plant them next year. They were a freebie plant that I had never heard of.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score

Latest posts