How are Things in the Tomato Patch?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah..the areas I used partially composted duck bedding are staying nice and plush. I just spread more on some bare patches yesterday.

I have a LOT of green maters and some starting to turn. We have harvested some and let them ripen in the kitchen. The only problem I have now it the plants are so big and so dense I have taken to hunting ripe tomatoes at night with a flash light. The contrast of the ripening tomato stands out much better this way. That's a good sign, right?

:gig

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
On last week's Illinois Gardener they talked about the 2009 winner of their tomato tasting. Out of 90 varieties, the favorite was "garden peach"--see here~
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures
Apparently the tasters hesitated to bite into them because these tomatoes have a little fuzz on them, like a peach. :lol: Has anybody here grown these?

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You're all so lucky you have those tomatoes. Mine just didn't do much this year. The cherry tomatoes are all right, it's the full size that haven't done well. We had such a crazy spring this year with late frosts and then suddenly turned hot. My soil might bot be quite right either. It's hard to grow things in the desert and only can if you amend the soil. Zucchini and summer squash and butternut are doing very well. We planted more carrots, beets, turnip and green beans and they're coming up. This is the first year for us to have a second crop. Might work as our first frosts don't usually come until mid Oct. and there should be enough light.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I picked about 10 tomatoes today, I had to throw 3 to the chickens are they were being devoured by caterpillars and nasty little stink bugs. What I have noticed though, is the bugs seem to go for the mushy fruits, the ones the other bugs already started on. So while 7 of my tomatoes were fine, the other 3 were covered in many bugs rather then 1 each. You know?

Anyways, other then that.... just about all my tomatoes are cracking! :barnie

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What do you wear when you hunt?
steampunk-pew-1.jpg

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
desertwillow, it sounds like we have a similar climate. This is the first year I have gotten a descent tomato crop in decades. The secret is putting crushed oyster shell in the hole when you plant. Also bury them DEEP. I had to use a post hole digger to get mine planted :D

Latest posts