How are Things in the Tomato Patch?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Saturday, I stewed and canned 7 quarts, and 1/2 pint's worth. ALL were Romas, and there are masses of green and turning ones in the patch. :bun
Also, one of my heirloom's that I planted from seed has great big, green and wrinkled top fruit on it. I'll definitely save THOSE seeds.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm just pulling the last of my tomato plants. That will be it for tomatos till next Spring. I had a great season. Both my Purple Cherokee and Mortgage Lifters were huge and plenty of them. I've been keeping all my neighbors supplied. Time for the Fall planting.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My tomatoes were tricky this year, but my big producers were an unknown variety, italian market tomatoes and chocolate cherry tomatoes. I have about 4 plants left with ripening tomatoes still, I've already ripped out 3 plants yesterday and the rest are coming out today.

Then in goes more cabbage and broccoli... and maybe carrots since I ended up with a free pack in the mail. :D

p.s. - Sooooooooooooooo buying the chocolate cherry next year. I couldn't get enough. We snacked, we made salads, we put it right in our chicken salad and I made sun dried tomatoes out of them for winter since the flavor was so intense.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm getting ginormous Purple Cherokees, and Cuor di Bue. I love those things, nothing beats a big, fat Italian OxHeart. I've canned 14qt now, but had 4 not seal so we've eaten a lot of chili :) I have tons more coming, hopefully a few more jars of Striped Romans (so far only 3 jars). Some weird yellow tomato was rearing its head...it tasted amazing, but it was one skinny plant with 2 fruits in the middle of my Hillbilly Potato Leaf and Strpied Romans.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Do you prefer canning them immediately after deskinning them, or do you prefer stewing them for a few hours, then canning? :pop
I only ask because I skinned mine Saturday, and what with my laundry list of jobs, they cooked in my crockpots on Warm for about 5 hours--definitely stewed, but not burnt. It seemed like it condensed them.
Usually, I dedicate the morning or afternoon, or afternoon/evening to my canning--day just got away from me.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Do you prefer canning them immediately after deskinning them, or do you prefer stewing them for a few hours, then canning? :pop
I only ask because I skinned mine Saturday, and what with my laundry list of jobs, they cooked in my crockpots on Warm for about 5 hours--definitely stewed, but not burnt. It seemed like it condensed them.
Usually, I dedicate the morning or afternoon, or afternoon/evening to my canning--day just got away from me.
My mom taught me to can immediately after, but stewing cant hurt.

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We got super hot really early, (100+ heat index) so my "early girl" stank. We have finally moderated a bit (into the mid-90s) so I now have lots of green tomatoes.

Something is attacking the early girl- cucumber beetle, maybe? Drills a perfectly round hole in the fruit.

My Brandwine STINKS. I have like two pitiful little things on the vine. The Cherokee Purple has a couple HUGE maters, but haven't been able to harvest one yet.

My hybrid ROMAs look great.