How are Things in the Tomato Patch?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jealous??

Oh I know, it is the sight of my garden soil there behind the tomatoes!

Yes, it has taken me years to build up that kind of tilth!

Steve
who also has Early Girls, shouldn't have forgotten.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Here are some of the new early/earlies that I've got right now:

http://i38.tinypic.com/10h874k.jpg

Those are SunSugar cherries, very similar to the more popular Sungolds. They aren't new to me, I've had them (and loved them :)) for 7 or 8 years.

The size and shape of the others surprised me - supposed to be plums, I thought! The one on the left isn't quite ripe but I've had 3 or 4 ripe ones off the plants. It is a Buisson.

The one on the right (yes, it is only 1 tomato :rolleyes:) is a Kimberley. All of the fruit on those plants look about like that! None have split yet . . . so, I don't know quite what to think about Kimberley. And, the small plants are just loaded with those weird little guys!

The ripe Kimberley was real tasty and almost seedless. I am a little disappointed this is the very first ripe fruit off the plants. Besides not anticipating the wild shapes, I really expected earlier ripening from this variety from a mountain valley in British Columbia.

Along with Jaune Flamm and Tigerella (Mr. Stripey), those are my larger tomatoes right now :).

Steve
Steve,
I herd of having a rock garden but it look like you are taking it to extremes.. LOL

Nice lookin tomatoes..

Chris

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You are very lucky to have such a good looking collection their Steve! YUM-O! :D

I sadly just ripped out a plant that had succumbed to blight, then 2 days ago I realize my cherry tomato plant has it as well. I sprayed with neem oil immediately, and removed handfuls of bad branches and leaves. It came on QUICK. Of course it rained the next morning, so I spray again, well it rained all night last night too with chances today. I need to get this under control or I lose my only cherry tomato plant. :watering

Its also close to my white wonder tomato so I'm afraid that is next. :hit

With all that said, if I could control it long enough for the tomatoes on it to ripen, I could deal. I will plant chinese cabbage there is all ends up lost with those tomatoes. It looks like all my tomatoes will be pulled by the end of the month anyways.... the high winds we had this year beat them within an in of their lives and the yellow leaves, broken branches and lack of tomatoes is proof. :(

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Any idea what kind of tomato this is? It was labeled "climbing tomato" and I got it in a swap. No other details. I am thinking it is a Trip L Crop Pink.
41018158426725211913988.jpg

This is the variety that won our garden taste test. Details here...
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=267180#p267180

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Things are VERY well. I have to can this weekend because I have 3 bowls of Romas, and I haven't checked today to see how many more.
Here is a picture of tomatoes from one of my Better Boys~
BetterBoysAugust20101.jpg

This is from a clearance (50 cents each) plant I bought at WalMart in June.
The fruit from this plant is huge, flawless and super-sweet. I am Definitely saving seeds from this one!! :tools :throw :celebrate

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can save seed but Better Boy is a hybrid, Ducks. (Burpee, Better Boy)

I have a friend who grows Better Boys every year. I've looked long and hard at them . . . trying to decide if they might be better than my Big Beefs. So far, I haven't decided if BB is better than BB.

Better Boy is a fine tomato
but if you save seed you may end up with something like my Kimberley fruit:

33vf5ur.jpg

with Tigerella and Ildi

I've got 4 plants covered with fruit in those fluted shapes (some are fairly extreme). Fortunately, they haven't split and have a very good flavor. Kimberley is suppose to be a real early tomato and round, round, round! Certainly, they aren't round and they weren't terribly early either!

The seed was a from a guy who grows them in his backyard . . . and he grows quite a few other varieties. I think this is one of those cases where 2 varieties crossed - and, I got the seed :rolleyes:.

Well, I am happy enuf eating them.

Steve
who is still waiting for a beefsteak, of any kind . . . :/