How are Things in the Tomato Patch?

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wifezilla, I like your picture of what to wear when hunting. I will have to try the oyster shells. The local garden club here said to use 3 tbsp of epsom salts and the same of sugar and bury them deep. Will try the oyster shells next year. Thanks again.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It looks as though wifezilla has changed her methods. Instead of getting out the posthole diggers now she just shoots her plants into the ground.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I checked on my community garden plot the other day and found that it was completely overgrown. We worked at it for about 20mins (my husband and kids actually helped!), and managed to get all the weeds cleared away from the tomatoes and melons.

My tomato plants have grown very well and have many green tomatoes on them. I picked one ripe green zebra and one pineapple. I liked the flavor of the green zebra but haven't tried the pineapple yet. There were several black krims that we picked and tossed on the compost pile as they were badly split. The mortgage lifters are doing well, nice big fruit that is ripening well.

My tomatoes at home are doing alright. My roma and san marzano are about ready to pull. My fireworks is still going gangbusters. The sweet million and sweet 100 are slowing down. The early girls are doing fairly well. The red currant has put out a couple fruits, but not many.

The tomatoes in the back yard have lots of greenery but no fruit. The yellow pear did set some fruit soon after I planted it, but none since then. None of the others (three mortgage lifters and a roma), have set any fruit. I will be looking up how to rectify that.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
After a July restart with some clearanced plants, they are looking great. The plants look healthy and have many flowers. Hopefully they will have time to get the fruit ripe.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled my San Marzanos and Costoluto Genovese (also paste tomatoes) last night.

Going back in tonight with a pair of pruners and try to tame that tomato jungle! :tools

This time of year after days and days of canning and picking more than I can eat or giveaway, I am starting to feel ready for fall and am psyched to clear these spent plants out of the garden like a clean slate!

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The heat has got to my tomatoes but today I put four bags of yellow squash and a bag of zucchini in the freezer and two containers of zucchini grated to make zucchini bread later on. My Butternut squash has some almost ready to eat. The green beans we planted are up and should have beans before cold weather and the beets are up also.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh, in the warmer zones and even zone 6, gardeners are talking about the end of their tomato season and a wish for fall. I still haven't had a ripe beefsteak!

It was August 20th last year before I had a large tomato to enjoy. If anything, it should be later this year because of the very cool June.

There were a handful of little yellow Ildi tomatoes yesterday. Those things can really, really kick out the fruit once they get started.

I've already commented on my first Jaune Flamm tomato but the plants are ripening about 1 a day now! I am just delighted about that :). Other than a persimmon-colored skin that's a little tough, Flamm is proving itself to be one fine tomato!

A couple more Mr. Stripey (Tigerella) were ripe yesterday. Those had a nice flavor and a tender skin!

So, I've got just a few plums to go with a steady supply of gold cherries (Sungold and SunSugar). There are actually a couple more plum varieties out there with plenty of green fruit. And, I got a nearly-ripe Buisson. I'm looking forward to trying a tomato that seems to be really rare in the US.

My supposedly early Kimberley look like they'll show up about the same time as the beefsteaks! It seems like a small tomato had really better be worth the wait if it can't be early, early.

To give you an idea of where my tomato season is: I can count the ripe cherries of the popular Sweet 100 plants on the fingers of 1 hand! If it wasn't for the earlier gold cherries, I'd probably be tearing my hair out right now :lol:.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are some of the new early/earlies that I've got right now:

10h874k.jpg

Those are SunSugar cherries, very similar to the more popular Sungolds. They aren't new to me, I've had them (and loved them :)) for 7 or 8 years.

The size and shape of the others surprised me - supposed to be plums, I thought! The one on the left isn't quite ripe but I've had 3 or 4 ripe ones off the plants. It is a Buisson.

The one on the right (yes, it is only 1 tomato :rolleyes:) is a Kimberley. All of the fruit on those plants look about like that! None have split yet . . . so, I don't know quite what to think about Kimberley. And, the small plants are just loaded with those weird little guys!

The ripe Kimberley was real tasty and almost seedless. I am a little disappointed this is the very first ripe fruit off the plants. Besides not anticipating the wild shapes, I really expected earlier ripening from this variety from a mountain valley in British Columbia.

Along with Jaune Flamm and Tigerella (Mr. Stripey), those are my larger tomatoes right now :).

Steve

Latest posts