How Do Deer Know?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought the country rule was shoot, skin and eat...sheesh, I'm never in the loop on these rule changes!!

Nyboy, I feel your pain. I live in deer central. If you saw the posts of my garden, you will notice the fence is 7' high and fully electric. DW's flower gardens take a hit now and then as do the peach and apple trees. I also have to net the grapes just before they are ripe if I want any jelly. I can control any other garden pest through trapping or shooting, but deer are the worst!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The rules haven't changed the critters in question were listed under the wrong category.

Per Country Law: Anything with paws its the 3S policy. Anything on hooves, claws, or fins, it falls under the shoot, skin, eat policy.

If its on "feet" or what some folks depending on their demographic call "foot".....as to which policy it falls under is guided solely by said critters intentions. Rabbits? The latter category. Boyfriend who doesn't respect you, DW, or most importantly your daughter? The former. Pretty clear policy on that.

As far as appropriate caliber the policy clearly states: Caliber is to be chosen by distance from said target, readily available on hand, and lastly comfort with said caliber. Tools including but not limited to "simple tools" such as T posts, sticks, and rocks while not considered "ideal" however can be extremely effective when wielded which is why readily available on hand is listed before comfort with said caliber to make sure that those are still considered an effective option given the circumstances.

Remember adapt and overcome.

Thank you;

- Country Management

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mulberry leaves are higher in protein than most any other tree leaf. That's why they are going after them. I feed my rabbits the leaves as part of their natural feeding diet and they love them. I am surprised you have to buy them where you're at. They are the first trees that pop up around here. I've heard them called "scrub" trees by some old timers. I had 3 of them come up in my yard in an area that I seldom mowed. The edges of wooded areas are loaded with them as well. I actually just cut one down that had gotten very big.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys I have come to think of deer as gaint rats. The mulberry wasn't a wild one which can be almost a weed. It was a named cultivar called Illinois everbearing, it has large almost seedless fruits high in flavor. some people that grow them say they are better then cherries.If you have wild mulberries you might want to try grafting a named variety to them.

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They aren't quite ripe yet. My parents had a huge Mulberry that has been there for over 80 years. Only reason I know is I've seen pics of it from back when my great grandparents lived there. The twigs off that tree made great bows and arrows when we were kids, LOL. We would get in trouble for tracking smashed berries into the house via our bare feet. Those were great times!

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I can also remember knowing when they were ripe by seeing the purple bird droppings on things around the yard.

Sorry, I'm hijacking your thread. I'll quit reminiscing.

Latest posts