How you keeping yourself busy?

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today is paint day for us. DH has been rained out, so we are all painting more of the walls getting ready to lay down more flooring. Since we are painting the area that we have stuff stashed to get out of the way, all that stuff is out in the middle of the living room. :barnie

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate to paint.....I get more paint on me and other surfaces than I do the intended surface....but, it seems I'm always painting here. We've got three cans of Kilz in the pantry right now, preparing to paint the cabin ceiling this spring....was supposed to be done last fall.

Don't know about other folks out there, but I find no end of things here to keep me busy and this staying at home more just gives me more time to get things done. I'm liking it!

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm kilzing the trim/doors right now, well, waiting for it to dry so that I can go back over it with country white. The walls are/going to be a desert tan which is much lighter than the previous color. I like to paint. I'm not a messy painter, but DH & the grandD is. That is why I have us painting before putting down the floor. This way it doesn't matter how messy it gets!

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We go onto lock down as of tomorrow midnight for the next 4 weeks..even though we havent even had a single deth from this virus to date.

I took mum shopping to make sure she had everything she needed and will take my invoice over to my boss tomorrow, just to make sure it arrives, to let him know I dont have his phone number and...that I wont be coming to work on Saturday cos I am not allowed to.
On the way home, I am stopping into the local chicken farm to see if I can pick up some chooks and if so its then back to the supermarket for some pellets or mash or both for them.

To keep busy,I have my concrete rubble and fastcrete to keep working on the next lot of paths and the timber edging to finish the last main vegie bed along with the next lot of pre winter sowings.
I still need to keep tabs on the bees and do their treatments.

I have three different types of mushrooms cultures I am trialling- NZ Oyster, Shaggy Ink cap and Giant burgandy along with a couple of books on this that I keep going over.

...and i suppose if I get really bored, I could do some house work.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...and i suppose if I get really bored, I could do some house work.

all sounds good to me there @Trish Stretton !

i know one thing, if they find me laying in a pile of dust at the end of my days i won't have a single regret. cleaning is what happens when it rains. :)

i only dust the floors in here a few times a year. that is plenty. i certainly don't miss the runny nose or sneezing. soon enough it will be outdoor work time and i am looking forwards to that. what little i have been able to do so far is already nice to have done.

i'm such a homebody that this doesn't bother me at all. what bothers me is the risks of getting sick when other people visit or if Mom goes out. :( wash the hands, wash the face, etc.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
no matter how careful i try to be i usually manage to step in the paint tray or dump it over or the can of paint or something. i have old clothes i keep for painting and staining. i love painting though. this house i did the whole interior when it was built with two coats over the primer.

it is showing some age but i can ignore a lot of it since i don't spend a lot of time looking up. :)

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi all

Well, with more and more of us in some version of lock-down/shelter at home/ whatever you call not being able to leave the house regularly. How are you all keeping yourself busy (besides gardening of course!)

On my side:

Gardening (first as one would expect) This is actually very difficult around here since it is JUST beginning to be spring, (or at least the form of spring defined by things being available) so there isn't all that much to BUY yet. Add on the fact that, by Sunday EVERYTHING non essential in NY is being shut down indefinitely ( and I rather doubt they will consider plant nurseries "essential") at it looks like it's going to be a kind of bleak gardening year (it doesn't help that most of the seed companies are getting overwhelmed and shutting down temporarily). In fact my plans tomorrow (assuming they are open) involves doing basically a Hail Mary run to one local nursery to load up on peat pellets, since I need them to get the cucumbers started. I probably have to give up on my coveted red violas (they weren't in when I went today, and as I said, by next week, they'll be no way to get them)

Crafting I've been doing quite a lot of jewelry making to keep my hands busy. But this of course needs supplies, and with the craft stores closed, I have to use mail order and wait a week or so for each thing I need. Plus most of the supplies I use are in extremely limited supply. (Plus it would be nice if a few more of my things sold online, but that is another matter)

It's just getting sort of boring. The next book I want to really read isn't due out until mid May, there aren't THAT many TV programs I want to catch up on.

Normally I'd also do some cleaning, but every time I do that too much I get bronchitis, and this is definitely NOT a time to have lung trouble.

So over to you
Cooking. Nothing can beat cooking as a habit.

Latest posts