"How's Your Melons Doin'?"

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
speaking of melons.. @Lavender2 how are your melons doing????

Well, their color has thrown me off. I checked them last Friday and one slipped from the vine, had a bit of sweet melon smell. Before I could get in the house and get a photo dh had cut it up and ate half of it. :eek: He raved about the best melon he's ever tasted, and he thoughtfully saved me some :D, so I forgave him. It was so sweet and juicy!

They still look kinda green, I think. But they are ripe and SO GOOD! I picked 3 more over the weekend for dinner with the kids and grands. I had to promise little Cam he could take one home if he would eat something besides cantaloupe and beets for dinner. He was so excited leaving with his melon. :love

IMG_3875.JPG

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
those tigger melons look wonderful... we tried them a couple years ago tasty little things. love your watermelons as well.. @barefootgardener how big did they get?

good to see you back....
Thank you!

The largest Orangeglo watermelon weighed just under 10 pounds.. I have grown some in previous years that reached 12 to 14 pounds. That is really good for my zone 4 location. Every year will be different and depends on the weather and season. :)

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, their color has thrown me off. I checked them last Friday and one slipped from the vine, had a bit of sweet melon smell. Before I could get in the house and get a photo dh had cut it up and ate half of it. :eek: He raved about the best melon he's ever tasted, and he thoughtfully saved me some :D, so I forgave him. It was so sweet and juicy!

They still look kinda green, I think. But they are ripe and SO GOOD! I picked 3 more over the weekend for dinner with the kids and grands. I had to promise little Cam he could take one home if he would eat something besides cantaloupe and beets for dinner. He was so excited leaving with his melon. :love

View attachment 9428
Those melons look amazing! What variety are they?

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So what do melons need for flavor development? Is it a number of hot days or does soil also make a difference.
I wonder, because when I actually have gotten a few ripe ones they were bland.
Melons need a well drained, sandy soil that is very well amended with lots of rich compost and composted manure. Deeply dug. They love the heat and need lots of water in the summer while the vines are growing. Some folks will use black plastic to warm up the soil.. When the melons grow in size and are a few weeks from being ripe, lay off of the water, or your melons will become mealy and bland. I am no expert, so maybe someone else can add to what I mentioned. :)

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So what do melons need for flavor development? Is it a number of hot days or does soil also make a difference.
I wonder, because when I actually have gotten a few ripe ones they were bland.
Melons need a well drained, sandy soil that is very well amended with lots of rich compost and composted manure. Deeply dug. They love the heat and need lots of water in the summer while the vines are growing. Some folks will use black plastic to warm up the soil.. When the melons grow in size and are a few weeks from being ripe, lay off of the water, or your melons will become mealy and bland. I am no expert, so maybe someone else can add to what I mentioned. :)

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those melons look amazing! What variety are they?

The melons I grew are 'Hearts of Gold', an heirloom that used to be grown commercially in the mid-west. They all weighed between 2 1/2 and 3 lbs.

Looks like you had a great harvest! I will have to try 'Rich Sweetness' . I love trying new things and they're too pretty to pass up. Thanks for the tip! Might they be okay on a trellis? , there's always room for another trellis.

Latest posts