I am going back to work

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Y'all are the best! Thanks for all the support. I went in today and was told that she made a mistake and training is tomorrow. She was terribly embarrassed, I felt sorry for her. She is a young woman and has a lot to learn about people, but she will get there. So I go in tomorrow.
Great attitude. If this young lady is your supervisor, seems you will need prayers your way as she will have a lot of great assets to her but unfortunately, organization skills probably not one of them. Here’s hoping you enjoy your job as much as I am my part time job.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, you can assist her with organization, and she will maybe go easy on your advanced age.
Lately I have thought about finding a part time job, just to feel like I am doing something constructive. Or do some volunteering. I think the food bank is asking for volunteer workers now, but I have the flu and would get sent home in the proverbial handbasket. I do sound very infectious and may still be. Bay, be careful you don't hurt your back trying to lift the patients. I know you are strong but you shouldn't be doing that. Congrats on getting the first job that walked by!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have had all sorts of supervisors and for the most part they have been good to excellent. i think i'm lucky that in the few dozen i've had only one really was horrid/mean. in many cases they didn't know exactly what i was doing but they trusted me and that is good enough as long as they don't stand over me.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It takes some adjusting to leave the work-a-day world.

Dad used to say that he was gonna retire and go fishing, hunting, camping, traveling, and take a nap every afternoon. You can guess the one thing that he did ... after a year, he went back to work. It was part-time and not really related to what he had done in his career. After about another 18 months, he retired again. This time! He was much better about doing things that he liked and wanted to do. (He still took that nap every afternoon ;).)

Dad had almost 40 years of retirement - how about that?! He was still driving his tractor and ATV at 101. He was driving his pickup into his 90's. He had a garden and livestock in his 100th year. Life was something of an adventure for him and age both limited and challenged him. He was willing to meet the challenges ... He inspired me, beyond the fact that he could work circles around me when he was in his 80's :).

Even if I don't live on country property, I didn't quite leave trying to be productive, either. I encourage you to find ways to be involved and not to play any games about playing and then have motivation failure. If need be, go ahead and try to find something that you will be paid for - you will likely find it. Maybe you can do it independently or in a company busy producing services or products. Limp through, I did ... and I'm a wimp!

Steve
slowly, steadily, inevitably ... learning to be olde

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We’ll that didn’t last long. I got 2 days of training, following someone around, no hands on, then thrown on the floor for a 12 hour shift by myself. 14 residents, 3 diabetics, 3 Alzheimer’s, 2 with dangerous high/low blood pressure and meds 3-5 times a day. Helping with meals, cleaning the whole place, laundry, and they complained I was too slow. I picked up speed, but I got to thinking. Rules and laws started getting crazy and I could see it was only going to get crazier with the coronavirus. Once it gets into a nursing home, the bodies stack up. I decided I didn’t want to take a deadly virus home to my husband, so I quit. That place is disorganized, indeed, they take it to a new level. It is one of the worst places I have ever worked. Management was terrible, communication was zero to none.

The residents were precious people. I tried to give them all a smile and make them feel important. It’s dehumanizing enough just being in a place like that, without being in a high speed hurry to get to the next one.

Oh well. We are hunkered down, not going anywhere. We have all we need and have plenty to do.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Take care of yourself. You were doing the job that a nurse, assistant and full time health provider should be doing. & retirement homes charge just like they are paying for mandated help. It’s a sad situation over run by greed of ownership.

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
And now you see why so many people in nursing homes get this infection. It's not possible to maintain a sterile or semi sterile environment when you're rushed. Sadly, it's not about the people, as it should be. It's about $.
I'll do mine at home thank you. A couple more months, or even a couple more years. Not worth it to me. I'd rather go ahead and go out, right here with my animals.

Latest posts