ibookstore_logo.png
iBOOKSTORE
amazon_logo.png
KINDLE
kobo_logo.png
KOBO
bn_logo.png
NOOK
The highly anticipated sixth book of Jean Auel’s Earth’s Children® series, The Land of Painted Caves, is the culmination fans have been waiting for. Continuing the story of Ayla and Jondalar, Auel combines her brilliant narrative skills and appealing characters with a remarkable re-creation of the way life was lived more than 25,000 years ago.

The Land of Painted Caves is an exquisite achievement by one of the world’s most beloved authors.

Three decades in the telling. The epic journey that began with The Clan of The Cave Bear continues as Ayla becomes the woman she was meant to be.

Excerpt

Read or download the first three chapters of The Land of Panted Caves by Jean M. Auel. Use the “Share” link in the top right corner to embed the book excerpt on your own site or send to a friend.

®Earth's Children is a registered trademark of Jean M. Auel.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I wrote a book one time~ sister Anne and I ~ hand compiled and printed it~ or had it printed~ she my Anne~ arranged it publication and to qualify~ for publication~ I offered it for sale and sold it in my salon~ just asking enough to $1~ ```

1963 it was``` Time do hurry by```

I finished ~ the book that started this thread ~ and may find another when replacing it~ find another```

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
more recent author i enjoy is Alastair Reynolds. and more recently Ann Leckie.
I have finished a little short story by Leckie and picked up a book by Reynolds at the library.

The Leckie story was online and something of an introduction to her Ancillary series. I'm a little reluctant to begin that - first because I'm not prepared to make a commitment to read 3 books, and there is her newest book from the same setting if not a sequel. No, her sci-fi debut was a smash hit, that was the very first book in the series. Is one disappointed in continuing the journey??? They don't seem as celebrated.

Reynolds' book was the one off the shelf with the most critical acclaim on the cover ;). A paperback, it's title is Revelation Space. I must say that I'm aware that space is mostly a void ;). Filling it with all those pages (585!) looks somewhat audacious, and not necessarily in a good way.

Perhaps, I should find a Reynolds short story. This was what I did with Doerr reading a half dozen but even his full-length books aren't long or convoluted.

@flowerbug , should I pick up Leckie's Ancillary Justice and will I be content to put it down and not continue with the other 2 in the series? Her Night's Slow Poison short story was fun altho somewhat macabre. It has given me the idea that she is a very good writer, at least.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' i always try to read a new author in order of their publications (books mostly as i prefer long and complicated vs. short stories).

the ancillary series i consider light reading but interesting, could read one in an evening (i am a pretty fast reader). and no, if you don't like the first one just stop reading and move on. there's only been a few books in my life i've done that with. not her...

if you want a short book with a lot of fun meat and like hard science fiction i always recommend Dragon's Egg by Robert Forward. it has a sequel called Starquake but i don't re-read that nearly as often as Dragon's Egg. if you have a bent for history it has some amusing bits here or there...

mostly for science fiction i'm interested in the imagination of the author and what they can come up with. Alistair Reynolds is not short on imagination. i have liked almost all of his books (i'm not too keen on the elephant series, but i'll read it anyways).

Revelation Space will keep you busy for a while if you are a slow reader, but i like how his imagination works. :) i do not consider him a light author. he uses those brain cells. :)

Latest posts