I found this Book downstairs```

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry carol she hooks up with a hot blonde hair blue eyed man, they can not keep their hands off each other next 9 books
Yep, I was reading them, then they just got a bit too unrealistic. I never finished the series. :hu

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
story telling of almost any kind will draw me like a moth to the flame.

some books i keep around because once in a while i need to re-read them. sometimes they are an escape from a world which makes me sad and weary. one of these books is called _Songmaster_ by Orson Scott Card. it is not an easy book but worth the journey.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Libraries were an early introduction.

Television showed up in my childhood. Yes, we listened to radio shows but it was mostly there for the family to gather around for evening news. Teevee images were of such poor quality at first, it would probably astound younger generations even with their black and white ideas about the past. I was nearly a teenager before there was the choice of a 2nd channel/network.

A trip to town nearly always meant a stop at the library. The children's section had an Aesop's fables mural on three walls. It felt welcoming but a little confining. I soon ventured upstairs ... but, I wasn't sure if I should be there. About as far as I could go away from the observant eyes at the librarians' desk were the geography shelves. Those books were likely to have pictures, interesting to a kid. I remember hanging out there and, in time, working my way along the back wall until I discovered the social sciences and anthropology, with those interesting pictures. These books were the first that I ventured with up to the desk. I can remember the relief I felt to actually be carrying them away from the counter, checked out to me!

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
A trip to town nearly always meant a stop at the library. . . . I soon ventured upstairs ... but, I wasn't sure if I should be there. About as far as I could go away from the observant eyes at the librarians' desk were the geography shelves. Those books were likely to have pictures, interesting to a kid. I remember hanging out there and, in time, working my way along the back wall until I discovered the social sciences and anthropology, with those interesting pictures. These books were the first that I ventured with up to the desk. I can remember the relief I felt to actually be carrying them away from the counter, checked out to me!

Steve
I think I've already mentioned my favorite librarian. In our library the adult section was off limits for children (and I never did find out what mysterious books were stored in the basement) For years I feared she would get fired for taking books from the adult section and saving them for me behind the children's section.

Thanks to her, I had read a fair share of the "100 books for college-bound students" well before I reached 12 -- the year I was permitted full access to the library. (Not the basement. It was 21 and older). Books and I were the best of friends.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
as i spent many many hours in libraries as a kid it didn't matter which section i was in as long as i was quiet and didn't make a mess of the shelves. many times the words were beyond me but i could look at the pictures.

one of the joys of a library is browsing shelves and finding things you weren't necessarily looking for.

with on-line things you don't have quite the same experience.

my last job was as a part-time small-town librarian. a while ago now.

Latest posts