I found this Book downstairs```

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i found a few more books to read.

on-line ones this time since i don't feel like going to the library.

i'm already captivated by:

_The Ocean at the End of the Lane_ by Neil Gaiman

next up:

_As She Climbed Across the Table_ by Jonathan Lethem

good things to have on a cold winter evening. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm reading a book called The Perfect Horse. It's a true story about the Nazi seizure of the great horse breeding farms during WW2, and the group of soldiers that rescued the horses and ultimately returned them to their rightful homeland.

Also rereading aloud to DH The Little Woman.
The biography of Gladys Aylward.

I didn't plan it this way but they both happen to
take place in the same time period.
The horse book I picked up at Costco, even though I wasn't really shopping for a book. But the horse image on the cover caught my eye,
and, well,... you know....

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red~ What do you mean: "can't concentrate for a whole book at one time" ~ at one sitting ```
From a time before I started kindergarten, I had read one book a day. Often that meant not getting any sleep through the night, but I'd take 7 book from the library each week and return those 7 the following Friday to the dear librarian who 'sneaked' books from the adult side where children were not allowed.

This continued-- often to spouse's dismay-- for most of our life together. However, for some reason at the death of my grandson in 2001 I lost the ability to concentrate on reading anything. It took maybe 5 or more years before I started reading another book and that only for a short time before it was set aside.

I'm taking a bible study class. My problem requires that I read the lessons aloud or I have no idea of what I've read. This has been getting better over the past 13 months of bible study to where I often can read bits silently in short periods.

It's been hard, especially the last five years I was still teaching to not be able to read with comprehension since reading was such a big part of my day.

I suspect it was a self-inflicted psychological block -- I'm a tad bit weird that way -- related to the grief although I could never see any correlation or reason.

Latest posts