I want a Magnolia Tree!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fingers crossed that it makes it! I was thinking about you... We purchased a rental property and in the backyard is a big old magnolia. (Not sure what color, since we got the house late summer.) Let me just say- the leaves are huge!! I have never had such a time raking! Each leaf is equal to 10 normal tree leaves! I am hoping the flowers are spectacular, after the painful fall cleanup! Good luck with yours.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
LATEST UPDATE:
I go out to check on my little tree and HORRORS!!! Something has nibbled on two of it's branches!! :ep
Luckily there are many more and I still have Spring buds on it. It looked to be 2 1/2 ft off of the ground, too high for a rabbit, so it may have been a deer. My dogs suggested that I put on rubber gloves and smear dog sxxt all over my tree, which sounded like a good idea. We'll see if the culpret comes back bc we're expecting snow in the next few days. =b

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The culprit deer will indeed return. Yes, fence that tree.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My little Magnolia tree looks like it's in suspended animation. It's "wick" (alive), with several buds, JUST like last Fall, not leafed out yet. Any advice as to when to transplant it from it's buried tree pot to it's final location (east, in front of the house, about 15 feet from the foundation)?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just bought one on sale for $9 at Walmart and planted it last fall. It made it's first bloom today and it smells as lovely as it looks! :ya I've seen several similar specimens that are rather large, maybe 15' high and wide. I may have planted mine a tad too close to the house, but I plan to prune it a little anyway to get a nice shape. 15' out at least would be wise, judging by those I've been seeing. They like full to partial sun too. It will bloom before it leafs out, so yours could pop any day!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some of them get really big.....and the leaves are like dried leather. The seed pods ....hmmm. I have never had one myself, but my back door neighbor did, when I lived in Biloxi MS back in the 90's. I learned lots about Magnolia when I had to mow under it every week...lol.

Latest posts