I want a Magnolia Tree!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey they don't transplant well. You might want to leave it and keep it pruned.

I read that somewhere too. Do you think one year in that spot is too established for the roots? I put it closer to the porch thinking it might help give a little privacy there. If it won't mess with the foundation, I think I would like to leave it.

Ducks, I had magnolia envy too. :D I first saw one of these Jane Magnolias at the Columbus Zoo and fell in love with them. It is so amazing to me that they bloom and put on a good show right from the start. It really is a neat little landscaping tree. I got mine on end-of-the-season sale too. :woot

This one is far away from the road, but I bet now that you mention it, road salt is probably what killed my corkscrew willow that was here when we moved in.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
OH MY GOSH! That is so cute! I don't think I've ever seen a baby one.
Most of the ones I see around here look like this
MagnoliaTree.JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks!! Mine won't get any taller than 15', and I'm hoping for shorter. I have seen them heavily pruned outside of hotels in the South, so I plan to do the same. DH told me to fence it, so he wouldn't run over it with the riding mower!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're darned toot'n he wouldn't! I had my BIL dig up around my new orchard. Out came a four foot apple tree -- trunk broken into pieces. Since I didn't have a fence, I stood in front of each of the other trees to be sure he saw them.

Imagine that poor little magnolia struggling to dodge an overly ambitious mower who is thinking more of what's for dinner than that little tree.

Latest posts