I want a Magnolia Tree!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Too bad, but the summer flowers rotted off because of the enormous July rain we've had. :(
Otherwise it's looking great! It's gonna be on of those magnolias that has several limbs coming almost out of the ground, instead of a single stem and limbs.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandparents very very frugal. They had a large family to feed. On a small city lot they grew a number of fruit trees. One Mothers Day my aunts all chipped in a bought their mother a magnolia tree. My grandfather had a fit they where not wasting space on a tree that produced nothing useful. My grandmother who always submitted to her husband put up such a fight the tree was planted. Years later after they where both gone and I was a little kid the Magnolia was the holy tree. Us kids where not allowed to touch it much less clime it. It died after 60 years. Where ever I live I always plant a magnolia tree for childhood memories .

coco25

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cut Off, Louisiana Zone 9a, Bayou Country
I've never seen a magnolia tree with purple flowers, that is really pretty! Don't know what the "name". Of mine is, but I love it & it's HUGE! It does make a mess in the yard too! image.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is so sweet! I wanted one because my next door neighbors (3 acres north of us, on the other side of our horse's pasture) had/have a mature, normal height (35 ft) magnolia, so I knew that it could survive here. MINE (a dwarf to be 10-15 ft tall) is on the east side of my house, so it is spared the worst winter winds, but Theirs has no such protection. Btw, there is another blossom. Maybe it will dry out enough to flower this summer. Doesn't matter. It had over 40 blossoms this last spring and should have many more next spring.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I lived in Westport I had to put my 19 year old cat to sleep. I wanted a magnolia to mark his grave, I went to local nursery where they had 1 in stock. I could not believe that spring when it flowered they where yellow!! I did not know they came in that color.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

Latest posts