I would appreciate it if.....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds a lot better than canning gumbo with a roux. My basic vegetable soup recipe calls for 85 minutes at ten pounds, adjusted for altitude, for quarts. That 25 minutes sounds pretty light to me, but that depends on what veggies you have in there and how much liquid. The time is based on density of the produce.

I spent over three decades in South Louisiana, I ate gumbo. My wife made gumbo. One of the New Orleans restaurants emphasized their gumbo in a lot of their advertisements, like it was the greatest thing ever. Gumbo Ya-Ya. To me, it tasted like they burned the roux the first time I tasted it. But it tasted exactly the same when I tried it the second and last time. There are a whole lot of different ways to make gumbo, some much better than others.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canner book said 25@11. I went 30+@12. Sealed hard and fast. Love the pop. Presto canner.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Confession? I assumed, after we visited in another thread, that it was known that I added the meat/roux when I prepared it to eat. Guess my fault as I know what happens when one assumes.....

Dry roux, no. It is?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dry roux-stir flour in dry heavy iron skillet over medium heat. When nice and dark brown, remove from heat and pour into another container to cool. If you leave it in the skillet, it will burn from the residual heat. When cooled, add water, put back in skillet, heat and stir. Don't add water to hot skillet, it makes the most delightful POOF! and dry, browned flour explodes all over the kitchen. :lol: You can make several batches of roux, bag and store in the freezer for a faster pot of gumbo. Since you can the other ingredients for instant gumbo, you might want to try this as well. Dry roux is also good for people who have to stay away from oils and grease.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You gotta try okra again! We don't cook it into gumbos or use it to thicken. We fry it up! DH is now on a very strict NO SODIUM diet (heart issues) and I liked frying it up last night in olive oil (0% sodium) and Mrs. Dash (original) to flavor. It's going to be our replacement to potato chips.
I have grown okra for several years now. The trick is that it really needs adequate water for the first month. After that it needs no care. This year it started up late and so each plant isn't that tall. In the past they have been taller than my 5'4" frame. I noticed a few years back that a hardware store was clearancing okra plants that had okra pods and they were only 12" tall, yet producing, even though stuck out in the sun baking.
I have one 3 1/2 x 13 foot bed full of okra and that will provide enough. I am harvesting every day and I learned that in a rain heavy year even the 8" long okra pods are tender enough to cut and save. The harvest is easier than any other crop. You rinse them off, chop off the top and the bottom and simply cut into slices, and throw them in a labeled bag and right into the freezer. You can buy okra cheap in the grocery store, but watch out, because I have recently learned that grocery store vegetables are now salted to get them to keep in your freezer up to 4 years. Mine, of course, have no salt in the bags. Even bought they are very inexpensive, like $1.50/1 pound bag, frozen.
Remember to cook them on low heat so that you get a singe on each side. This will make anybody a fan of a much maligned but healthy and easy to grow vegetable.
Last night I didn't make enough to go with the rooster and I got dirty looks from my family. :hide

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now me, I have to add onions and garlic with okra. I also like it "burnt" crispy. Especially in bacon grease. Not healthy but I don't CARE... Been known to add peppers as well.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
fresh gumbo is the only way with andouille sausage and shrimp....think you can save a bunch of time progresso makes gumbo in the can.....:lol:

there are certain things that need to be prepared fresh so your taste buds really enjoy the true culinary experience of a fine cooked meal.

yes i am for hire to expand anyone's culinary desires..

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
fresh gumbo is the only way with andouille sausage and shrimp....think you can save a bunch of time progresso makes gumbo in the can.....:lol:

there are certain things that need to be prepared fresh so your taste buds really enjoy the true culinary experience of a fine cooked meal.

yes i am for hire to expand anyone's culinary desires..
Major, WHERE is your photo of you teaching seedcorn how to make gumbo??? :gig

Latest posts