I would appreciate it if.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew okra, once.

The plants ... oh, little, tiny okra pods appeared and were harvested before frost. Allowing Dad to influence my evaluation of these sorts of things, I accepted that it was essentially a failure. He almost laughed at my sweet potato harvest but, I think, he was getting back at me for buying him some Georgia Jet slips for his garden.

Personally, I'm having Portuguese kale in a beef soup, at the moment, but there are vegetarian gumbo recipes. And, that's not just at Vegetarian Times. Allrecipes, About.com, Whole Foods, and the Food Network ...

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight file' pronounced FEE-lay, is made by grinding dried sassafras leaves to a powder. We have them here on our place, I dig up the small ones for their roots, to make a delicious tea. And you are right, it is added at the last. @seedcorn it sounds like you are canning okra and scamming somebody that you are canning gumbo. :gig

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight file' pronounced FEE-lay, is made by grinding dried sassafras leaves to a powder. We have them here on our place, I dig up the small ones for their roots, to make a delicious tea. And you are right, it is added at the last. @seedcorn it sounds like you are canning okra and scamming somebody that you are canning gumbo. :gig

if so how would the brick roux hold up to canning?

now you all have me hungry for a little Cajun this weekend.....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you notice the people up north are focusing on okra as what makes a gumbo. It's an ingredient that can be used to thicken gumbo. File is an ingredient that can be used to thicken the gumbo. Somehow the roux, the thing that actually makes or breaks the quality of the gumbo is being left out, at least by some people.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm just confused. I've never had gumbo, although my Louisiana aunt made it every time she visited mom.

What's wrong with canning the base and completing it later?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't okra in every gumbo?

There is a parsley pesto, I guess. Sunflower seeds can be used instead of pine nuts. There must be other choices/options to make a pesto.

I suppose that if water is used in every gumbo, it would be wrong to emphasize the water but my experience eating okra is that the flavor is very noticeable wherever it is used.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn what recipe are you canning? How long is your process time? Are you canning the roux? Roux is the heart of gumbo and is made from flour. A general recommendation is to not can flour, but hopefully you found a recipe you can do that if you are canning flour. Or maybe your recipe calls for adding the roux after you thaw it?

@digitS' you're really good at doing research. Do some research on "no okra gumbo". No, okra is not in every gumbo but don't take my word for it. File is not in every gumbo either.

If you check around, you will find there are a lot of different ways to make barbeque, using different ingredients. Some places are quite proud of the differences in their barbeque. Gumbo is a tradition along the gulf coast. Cajun country is best known for making gumbo, it probably originated there. But there are a lot of different recipes for gumbo, everybody's granny had her own and not all were Cajun. There are even recipes for making the roux in the microwave. I shudder to think of that. Some of these recipes are very good, some are red hot, some are not.

Seed, it's quite possible you found a recipe where you are able to can something someone calls gumbo. It may even be a gumbo but it's also possible it is an okra stew that many people would not recognize as gumbo if they tasted it. It's hard to say exactly what you are canning, even with the recipe. But you are a grown boy. If you want to call whatever you are canning gumbo you can. It might even be a gumbo.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, to be exact. I'm not canning gumbo but a gumbo base. Just the vegetable ingredients and most of the spices. When I open it, I'll decide what meats I want to add then. That is also when I'll make and add the roux. This way, I fry meat-tend to use Cajun sausage, make the roux, add the jar contents, eat..... Quick, easy, good.

Tried crawfish one year, never again.

Pressure canner, 25+ minutes at 11 pounds.