I would appreciate it if.....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Seed, I now live in Washington, so the Pacific North West. I have lived in California and Michigan. I was born in Europe. So does that count ?
Fantastic....will reveal before long. Thanks to all.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I add meat and rou when I open it later to eat.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not gonna look this up, just ask ...

Isn't gumbo boiled okra ..

. and then just about anything you want to add to it?

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not the eating of it but I can the base and add whatever meat I'm in mood for when I eat it. For me, the okra makes the gumbo.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm stepping back here, dear friend, and suggesting you can gumbo base, but not gumbo soup. I'm with bay, here (never having tasted gumbo). All the TV chefs I've even watched make gumbo with meat.

Sorry, seedcorn. It's like you are canning beef vegetable soup without the beef or chicken noodle soup without the chicken. Not a bad thing to leave your protein options open, but not the same as soup.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've only eaten gumbo a few times and only made it twice, as I said before the first time I made it, delicious, the second time a disaster :hide. It was the okra that makes me think it's a gumbo. I made mine both times with chicken but have had it with shrimp, again it's the okra that defines gumbo to me.
You guys got me curious so did a bit of research, 'file gumbo powder', didn't know about that, it wasn't in the recipe I used, added at the last to thicken and adds another dimension to the flavor? I just might have another try at making gumbo, but this time I'll taste it before springing it on anyone :)

Annette