IF WE ALL WROTE A GARDEN BOOK TOGETHER, WHAT CHAPTERS WOULD YOU WRITE?

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Marshall, I will do whatever you need me to do. I am not as knowledgeable as some of the rest of you or do I have as much experience, but willing to help in any way I can because I want to read this book.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will definitely help, just need to find some more time! If there is no hurry, I will definitely get around to it. :p I love to write and love to blog, but homeschooling my 5-year-old and keeping up with a 6-month-old baby have really taken a lot of the wind out of me. I really do want to contribute to this though.

I was thinking today, I wonder if this book could become perhaps a TEG resource for new gardeners. Sort of how they do the coop pages and other info pages for BYC. Given the wide range of topics we have, I think if it were to be a real book, it could easily reach 4,000 pages. ;) We may need to tighten our scope by each topic (for example; Seed-saving -- when you think of how exhaustively detailed Suzanne Ashworth's book 'Seed to Seed' is, it would be redundant and unnecessary to go to that length. We should probably give a good overview of the topic with the intent of drawing the interest of the novice and give them direction if they desire to look into it further.)

Perhaps, as this comes to pass we could run it by Nifty to see if there could be a place made for our "book" here. It would be neat to leave our mark on TEG with a collaborative educational resource.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well said Journey. I think what we don't want to do is duplicate a lot of what's already available. Or turn it into an encyclopedia. But if we make it a unique perspective on gardening from this very diverse group, it would have a niche.

I would be willing to collaborate, but time is not real abundant, except for what I don't have already agendized ( a word I just made up :p ) this winter. I don't feel real qualified for any of the subjects listed, but I could try.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes what we write in these posts is almost enough for some of the chapters. It could actually be done "Subtopic by subtopic", a piece at a time.

A college professor would tell the students to do the big report a piece at a time.

Outline your chapter, and then fill in the outline one piece at a time, one or two of these message windows at a time, per day. Before you know it, you're saying, what's my next chapter?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:rose

I am hoping that Smart Red Linn Bee will be our big cheese Editor in Chief, proof reader, and copy editor, and that she'll let me be Creative Design editor.
She is really good at fixing things up, and seems to know generative writing techniques.
As a bonus, I think she may be a nice version of somewhat type A personality, guessing and hoping anyway.

:bouquet

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, you know a lot about northern gardening and tough situation gardening. You know about sharing, and you are a truly gentle leader, and you know about more things than I can think of.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
:rose

I am hoping that Smart Red Linn Bee will be our big cheese Editor in Chief, proof reader, and copy editor, and that she'll let me be Creative Design editor.
She is really good at fixing things up, and seems to know generative writing techniques.
As a bonus, I think she may be a nice version of somewhat type A personality, guessing and hoping anyway.

:bouquet
Definitely NOT a type A personality. I was thinking a lot further down the alphabet. . V, W, or X, perhaps? Sorry!

Love, Smart Red

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're very kind Marshall ( and if I'm not careful my head will get so swollen I won't be able to get out the door in the morning :p )
but the real expert for this neck of the woods is Steve.

Jean.Hennings

Sprout
Reaction score
Has somebody already called 'shotgun' on the chapter about sitting back with a glass of wine once all of the gardening is done? :D

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Count me in...I'm not an "expert" by any means, but I've gotten my hands dirty a time or two ;)

Latest posts