If You Need a Good Laugh

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
#3 states not to put a silly (dumb) person next to a smart person unless silly is beautiful woman and smart a man then its ok. Does anyone know what listing is?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Listing as the leaning of a sailboat, If someone list too far they'll be on their back.

/lɪst/
verb
(esp of ships) to lean over or cause to lean over to one side
noun
the act or an instance of leaning to one side
Word Origin
C17: origin unknown

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
One point will never change: If you have ANY party, and you personally invite people and do not either greet them at the door, or greet them after they arrive, they will NOT feel welcome.
I have a "Salsa Party" in October, always the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend. Some people stay overnight for coffee, pancakes and bacon on Sunday morning, but most just drop in and drop out.
To a ONE, they want me to come and greet them when they arrive, or soon afterwards, and they come to me to say goodbye.
This is worth a laugh, but manners are being forgotten. I think it's worth a look to cherry pick the useful ideas.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
#3 states not to put a silly (dumb) person next to a smart person unless silly is beautiful woman and smart a man then its ok. Does anyone know what listing is?
I've been thinking about this. I don't believe that Emily Post was talking about unstable, beautiful women.

My dictionary isn't as olde as Emily's but I have an idea ...

Let's pick on NyBoy. He's the one who started this. NyBoy checks listings on Craig's List, right? They are items in a series. One might itemize television shows as a list. TV Guide does. Common enough way to use the word, listing.

Wikipedia categorizes a genre of periodicals as listing magazines. They provide information on events, activities for tv watchers, concertgoers ... see where I'm going with this?

A woman with a talent for listing may know what is going on in her social circle and have an interest in being out and about. She may be pleasant company - as simple and well-mannered as that ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, why didn't you say so, Thistle'!

and, here I go waay out on a limb ... "en"chanting!

Okay, you should have known I had this irrational tendency since you had to explain to me twice what TEG's "new posts" means ...

digitS'

Latest posts