If you want something done right...

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
You guys are making me do a ton of research on Barbie! Haha.

Apparently she is 19 years old. I've never heard of Skipper, but when I looked her up she does indeed exist, and is frozen at the age of 14. Ken is Barbie's boyfriend, he is 2 years younger than her, so 17 I guess?

Skipper was not always 14, apparently when she was originally made she was 8 years old. I guess Chelsea was the replacement for her?

She also has another sister, Stacie, who used to be called Kelly. (Confusingly, Chelsea's name was also Kelly) She's 10 years old. I have never met this 'Stacie' either.

She also has a ton of other family members that appear in books and animations and such, but don't have any dolls that go with them, and some family members who were retired and don't have dolls anymore.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have the original Skipper. No way is Ken a teenager! How does that explain the military uniform and adult business attire? Same for Barbie. I would not have guessed teenager for her.

0_0 Barbie ran for President in 1992?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the original Skipper. No way is Ken a teenager! How does that explain the military uniform and adult business attire? Same for Barbie. I would not have guessed teenager for her.

0_0 Barbie ran for President in 1992?
Right??

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You guys are making me do a ton of research on Barbie! Haha.

Apparently she is 19 years old. I've never heard of Skipper, but when I looked her up she does indeed exist, and is frozen at the age of 14. Ken is Barbie's boyfriend, he is 2 years younger than her, so 17 I guess?

Skipper was not always 14, apparently when she was originally made she was 8 years old. I guess Chelsea was the replacement for her?

She also has another sister, Stacie, who used to be called Kelly. (Confusingly, Chelsea's name was also Kelly) She's 10 years old. I have never met this 'Stacie' either.

She also has a ton of other family members that appear in books and animations and such, but don't have any dolls that go with them, and some family members who were retired and don't have dolls anymore.
Barbie: 101, dude

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Easter Chelsea dress and my first hair accessory.
IMG_20230227_154145.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had a bit of fun tonight and this morning. I timed myself hand sewing two pairs of chelsea pants (one all total, and one breaking it apart seam by seam.) It takes me 30-40 minutes by hand. Sewing them on the sewing machine is much faster, even when I have to stop and fix the sewing machine every few seconds.

I'm getting steadily better at the sewing machine. Today I figured out why I keep getting these weird double threads. Apparently when I move the dial to raise the needle, it's trying to fish the bobbin thread again. I have to stop stitching a seam when the needle is up!

Total time for the sewing machine for one item is about 19 minutes. It would be a lot shorter if I knew how to sew the waistband, I still had to hand sew that. I did learn how to sew a curve and do the inseam though! I finished 10 of the same pairs I hand sewed yesterday today. Hoping to sell them on Etsy.

We have some really fun ideas of how to model them too. It's going to be a blast!! Just need to make 10 more of about 100 different other things haha

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Read your manual about tension, which has a lot to do with mishaving thread.
ALL sewing was hand sewing before machines were invented. I WISH I could find the You Tube that DD showed me with one of the very first machines. I sewed a single line of stitches and mechanically locked them together. You use a hand crank and if DD had one I swear that she would topstitch EVERYTHING with it, looks so pretty!!
Keeping sewing on, girl!! :hugs

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Experimenting with tensions and different stitch styles are on my list of things to master. Getting curves figured out and discovering I could sew over cuffs and thicker pieces of material was a big step though!

Latest posts