I'm an Okie!

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, some of them are off of pretty old trees, if that counts!

There are heirloom apples; we have 13 trees which are. They were about 100 years old 20 years ago. You'll not find their varieties in the stores, and they are wonderful! There are people who do nothing but save heritage varieties of apples by grafting.
hee hee that counts!!

Oh I would LOVE to try heirloom fruit!! I never knew until recently that there are so many different variations of fruits and vegtables. I think it's amazing!

PennyinOk

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well I am exhuasted :mow I have been pulling and hoeing weeds and grass in the garden this morning and only did a row and a half.:( Everything is growing real good though my Okra plants are waist high and putting off enough Okra to cook every night which my DH loves and I have to tell you it is always exiting getting the first squash but after awhile I dread going out to find more and knowing I am going to have to cook it too! Anyone else feel that way about stuff in the Garden?

***Penny***

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a confession to make:

drumroll please.....

I am an okie, have been all my life, and I HATE okra!

I know, I know. Get the stake and kindling ready now. My mom cooked it growing up, and I always hated it. I haven't tried it in years. who knows maybe I would like it now. That's what happened with apple pie..... :th :th :th :th

ETA : I don't really know what that feels like yet, b/c this year is my first attempt to grow anything edible.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did she fry it? Fried is the only way my mother would ever eat it, she tells me. :)

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
yep, she fried it. I think she also battered it in cornbread or cornmeal. lol I didn't know until my adult life that there are other ways to make it let alone other ways to fry it :p

Now, ask me about Pennsylvania Dutch dishes. I know a lot more about those

:weee :weee :weee

PennyinOk

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
LOL I hate OKRA too only my DH and kids like it and apple pie is just not for me, matter of fact I don't eat any kind of pie. I like cake though.

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ha ha ha YAY!!! I'm not the only one!! I love me some cake!!!

ShellnOkla

Sprout
Reaction score
HI ALL !!!! I am Shelli (ShellnOkla) on here and BYC this is my second year battling the squash bugs omg i HATE them and some lil kind of black spider looking bugs i never had this problem in Tulsa i moved here in the boonies of Barnsdall Ok last summer and i love it but i sure have too battle alot of things i never battled with before lol lol i have sprayed my plants i have powdered my plants they look awful so do my tomato plants my corn is short and longhorns chopped them down through the fence so all i am getting is my lil cherry tomatos i have planted in a container away from garden, any suggestions on fighting these bugs????? i appreciate any help given....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
ShellnOkla said:
HI ALL !!!! I am Shelli (ShellnOkla) on here and BYC this is my second year battling the squash bugs omg i HATE them and some lil kind of black spider looking bugs i never had this problem in Tulsa i moved here in the boonies of Barnsdall Ok last summer and i love it but i sure have too battle alot of things i never battled with before lol lol i have sprayed my plants i have powdered my plants they look awful so do my tomato plants my corn is short and longhorns chopped them down through the fence so all i am getting is my lil cherry tomatos i have planted in a container away from garden, any suggestions on fighting these bugs????? i appreciate any help given....
Shell, try this post:

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23369&p=3

Good info on there with pics and all! These folks know their business when it comes to garden pests! :)

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey Shell! I'm new to gardening too, but I'll help if I can. Glad to have you! Have you seen the other sister websites? sufficientself.com, and backyardcows.com?

Latest posts