In other Weather News

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@murphysranch , you are in a little town off the beaten path I have made through southern Oregon.

I suppose that it is considered as being in the Cascade Mountains. It's a beautiful place in the world!

Just along the Oregon and California line are the Siskiyous. Unique habitat ... I worry about their forests. I hope the "Oregon mists" continue until lots of snow begins to fall.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The problem is the stupid belief that you will destroy wildlife habitat and destroy species if you clean up dead debris. C'MON!!! We are Gardeners and most of us are behind in our cleanup every Fall, but I know that if I had just the right ROBOT I could clean it up nice and tidy! Seriously, there is plenty of habitat! I don't know WHERE the huge numbers of deer live around here, but there are PLENTY of them and they have enough forage. In FACT, the Eastern (American) Indians (which is what They prefer to be called) used to clear out the forests so that the grass grew up for the deer population.
When there was a dust up about destroying the habitat of the Spotted Owl, we found out later that this is NOT an endangered species! Somebody noticed that we had almost no otters in IL so they imported them, now we may have to have a hunting season to reduce the numbers here.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the USDA Siskiyou Wilderness website

"These are islands in time - with nothing to date them on the calendar of mankind. In these areas it is as though a person were looking backward into the ages and forward untold years. Here are bits of eternity, which have a preciousness beyond all accounting." ~ Harvey Broome

Unique species and ecosystem

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Its raining here! Free rain! Oh My Gosh! For decades I'm used to no rain from about March/April until at least November. Its raining here in So Oregon! Woo hoo! This will help all the fires here too.

glad that you are getting rain. Hope that the rain helps put out fires or keep them from spreading.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NWS Spokane 9:53 PM on Tue, Sep 19, 2017:

"Just one week ago, the high temp for Spokane was 87F. Hard to believe when it only hits 51F a week later. ruready4winter"

digitS'

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom son is a forest fire fighter would be interesting to know her thoughts

:ya I'm very happy about all this rain for the firefighters sake, as well as the needed moisture. We've received a generous amount judging by the amount in the wheelbarrow and muck tubs.

There are fires around that will burn all winter, but the rain and snow will stop the spread. Kid#1 is somewhere with a helitack crew this week. I haven't heard from him, so don't know where exactly.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom son is a forest fire fighter would be interesting to know her thoughts

Oh, do you mean on letting forests burn?
sCo_hmmthink.gif

I agree with what has been said that this is not necessarily new policy to have a more hands off approach. I believe fire fighting policy did an about face after seeing the enormous conflagrations that occurred after decades of fire suppression. The smaller fires would clean up the dead fuel and didn't burn as hot so mostly didn't kill as many trees.

When those less intense blazes were immediately put down it led to more and more undergrowth congestion. That leads to a much more
prolonged and hotter fire, and also makes it more dangerous and difficult for the fire fighters to get around the fire and close in on it.

I have to say I appreciate what was said by the fire fighting authorities in my state on some of the recent fires, that the terrain was too dangerous to risk FF's lives, so they would do what they could but weren't sending people in to fight it up close. It's nice to know that a human life is still more important than timber.

I don't consider myself an expert or super knowledgeable just because my son is a wildland fire fighter, but I have payed more attention to the subject in the years since he became one.

Latest posts