In other Weather News

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is horrible. I am so sorry that y'all are going through this. In 2011, it seemed that the whole state of Texas was on fire. We had a terrible drought that killed a lot of trees. But the fires we had was nothing compared to what y'all are suffering.

This is due to the Feds' policy instituted by obama and his progressive environmentalist henchmen to let forest fires burn unless structures are threatened.

What morons.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
(Copied from facebook)
PSA:
If you live near the forest fires that are decimating the Northwest (or anywhere), please be aware that the animals are fleeing the fires and may show up in your yards. The forestry department urges you to bring your animals in at night and let the wild ones pass through. Please put out buckets of water for them.
They are scared, exhausted & have lost their homes too. They need to refuel.
Be careful when driving too.
FEEL FREE TO SHARE.

This is also true for flooded areas, however the bucket of water is optional in that instance. ;)

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is due to the Feds' policy instituted by obama and his progressive environmentalist henchmen to let forest fires burn unless structures are threatened.
Bay, I am going to have to disagree with you on this. One of the big reasons these fires are so horrid is because of previous fire intervention by man. In the past stopping the fire before it ran it's course encouraged large of amounts of undergrowth and dead limbs, trees, etc. to build up. AKA fuel. A fire cleans this out and promotes the growth of "new forest", Mother Nature's way of house cleaning. Circle of Life stuff. I am talking of fires started by natural causes.
Then there are the idiots who start a fire due to carelessness, stupidity or reckless behavior. Those people should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and that law should be a lot tougher than it is now. They might pay a little more attention if it meant years of jail time.
Of course protecting homes is paramount and with man building further and further into our forests it is about all fire prevention crews can do to keep them safe, let alone try to contain a wilderness fire.
My thoughts, heart and prayers are with those brave firefighters.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So nice to have blue skies the last 2 days. Everything smells of smoke and it must still be blowing in some from Oregon. The moon is silver and the sun, only red on the horizon.

I have no idea where they are at containing the fires, just that the breeze is from a direction NOT adding more and more layers of smoke to this part of the region.

Record number of days continue to add up since measurable rain . . . . .

digitS'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that with conditions as they are ..

. Montana ..

. cannot be held responsible for smoke drifting across state lines. LINK

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Five of this September days have had temperatures above 90°f, as recently as Tuesday.

Yesterday, it didn't hit 70° and this morning we should see the 30's, again. How many days have passed since the last time?

I don't know but 2017 is well within the record books for its 70+ days without rain. Under You Know You Are Old: I was here and an adult during 3 summers in the top 5 for longest dry spells o_O.

It actually is not very unusual to go 2 summer months without rain, he adds convincing no one o_O. The wildfire smoke from Montana is back -- eyes feel like they will fall out! o_O ...

Rain for tomorrow night is assured the local population. I hope that there is no lightning o_O

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had a short run of the perfect type of weather that keeps us living in Wisconsin. . . cool nights, bright, sunny days of breathingly beautiful early fall weather.

Sure, we have too cold, too hot, too windy, too humid, too cloudy, and too rainy weather most of the 365 days, but every so often He smiles upon us and rewards us with His perfection. This is Wisconsin!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Bay, I am going to have to disagree with you on this. One of the big reasons these fires are so horrid is because of previous fire intervention by man. In the past stopping the fire before it ran it's course encouraged large of amounts of undergrowth and dead limbs, trees, etc. to build up. AKA fuel. A fire cleans this out and promotes the growth of "new forest", Mother Nature's way of house cleaning. Circle of Life stuff. I am talking of fires started by natural causes.
Then there are the idiots who start a fire due to carelessness, stupidity or reckless behavior. Those people should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and that law should be a lot tougher than it is now. They might pay a little more attention if it meant years of jail time.
Of course protecting homes is paramount and with man building further and further into our forests it is about all fire prevention crews can do to keep them safe, let alone try to contain a wilderness fire.
My thoughts, heart and prayers are with those brave firefighters.
That is what happened in the Black Hills in 1989. Everybody thought that all of the Black Hills were on fire, not so, BUT, we visited the next year and saw lots of new growth. We Also saw signs that said, "Do you want your forest green, or well done?" (SOMEthing to that effect.) The Forest Circus started to prune, tepee the cuts and then burn them every winter when there was plenty of snow.
I pruned up my arbor vitae and added it to green weeds to burn and it went right up, less than one hour after pruning. Pine burns very well and you have to be careful with it.
Regarding the weather, WE had a stretch of lows in the 40's for several weeks, but now we are back to high's in the 80's-90's, which is more normal for us.

Latest posts