Introducing Beaux

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read somewhere to cure a dog from chichen killing tie dead chicken around neck and leave till it rots off I guess for outside dogs. It was in Albert Payson Terhune book

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read somewhere to cure a dog from chichen killing tie dead chicken around neck and leave till it rots off I guess for outside dogs. It was in Albert Payson Terhune book

Probably, haha!

40 years ago I tried that on our malamute female.
I think she rather enjoyed it. I cried uncle first and disposed of the carcass.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
SOOO SWEET!!!! :love Congratulations and THANK you for giving him a great home!!!
I need YOU to find me my next puppy. So far, EVERYTHING local is a dead end, purebred, which I DON'T want and >$1K for a future dog with health problems.
Vet is fostering another, now, she says, her LAST Samoyed, a female, who came to her pregnant. This dog came from a breeder HOARDER, and lived without human interaction with almost 100 other dogs. HOW these people aren't jailed for animal abuse, I don't know.
I was interested in a puppy, but this dog is so mentally messed up that she killed them all after licking them clean.
I hate dog breeders!!! Majority just have dollar signs in their eyes.
Her other Samoyeds are friendly and playful, even the one that she brought back from severe abuse and successfully treated cancer of the face/jaw with chemotherapy at 12yo. I told her that she needs to publish this bc it would give hope to other dog owners who might put their dogs down with stage 4 cancer in the face bc it is so close to the brain and just tissue covering bone, yet she was successful.
She only first tried these chemotherapy beads on My dog 2 years ago (and this last week) to treat a benign cancer in my dog's paw, growing downward. After the biopsy it became more aggressive and grew back towards the lower leg.
This time it had regrown to about 1/2 of the original. She had never used these chemotherapy beads before the original surgery, and there was still some left between my dog's RF toes. My dog will be 10yo in November. No pain, just irritation where the cancer is. We will continue to bandage for 3 weeks.
I believe that my Vet's experience with her own dog has made this 2nd surgery more aggressive. The side effects Can be destruction of non cancerous tissue, but I am willing to accept this to see the cancer gone.
Sorry for the story and rant! I absolutely abhor animal abuse/neglect. If you cannot or are not willing to care for an animal, get a succulent or a stuffed dog instead.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My friend trained her puppy to listen, therefore NOT CHASE her horses, chickens, etc., by tying a rope around her waist and snapped to the puppy's collar, so that the puppy HAD to follow here everywhere she went and couldn't run off as the puppy wanted to. She said this has been the best dog she has ever owned, loyal and obedient.
NO yelling, no hitting (spanking), no punishment.
Dog food for thought.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The monks of New Skete employ the dog-attachment as one of their training methods. They also incorporate some well timed "corporal" punishment (for want of a better term).
Yes, I said punishment, not a very politically correct word, but accurate and honest.

Different dogs require different approaches. Some need a very concise hands on approach. Some breeds "get it" almost by osmosis it seems.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you, can't imagine any place not having plenty of animals at the shelters. yes some of them may have issues, but usually a few visits and you can find a decent non-pure-bred dog that will be just fine.

wish you much luck ducks... :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay sorry about your hen. Be very careful with him chewing water bottles. Plastic can cause big problems with digestive track. I know dogs that needed emergency surgery from swallowing plastic
I second and third this bad habit of chewing plastic bottles... I worked at a University Vet. Med. Teaching Hospital and I can attest to what can / will happen to dogs that chew and swallow plastic. We had a couple that chewed plastic bottles with insecticide still inside which killed them after a very painful belly ache , emergency surgery and finally death.Give him a very stern talking to
if he so much as looks at a plastic bottle.

Latest posts