Introducing Beaux

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would never tie a dead chicken to a dog. Who does this make sense to? Don't dogs seek out and roll on stinky dead animals? :lol:

I had the sheep out in the yard, Beaux was under the porch with Trip. He didn't bark, chase or even acknowledge their presence. Yay! :weee I went outside and called Beaux to me. Several of the sheep were close, he ignored them. We are getting there.

When my dog Parker got hold of a rooster, I employed the newspaper beating of a lifetime on him. It worked, he NEVER looked at a chicken again! I believe in making the first screw up something to remember. Beaux is brilliant smart, I don't think he will be going after my chickens again.

@Nyboy, pig, hog, boar, sow, guilt and barrow all are pigs. Yes, I get cow leg bones for the dogs.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ducks4you, can't imagine any place not having plenty of animals at the shelters. yes some of them may have issues, but usually a few visits and you can find a decent non-pure-bred dog that will be just fine.

wish you much luck ducks... :)
D'ahh, Thanks! I wish that the online sites weren't asking an arm and a leg and another leg for a puppy. I will continue the search!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pound and rescue VERY different here. Pound gives 3 days then put to sleep rescue almost hoarder like. I have seen clients who where great dog lovers turned down for the dumbest reasons. They almost don't want their dogs adopted.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate dog breeders!!! Majority just have dollar signs in their eyes.
Agree on puppy mills. Breeders are a completely different thing. Dogs bred for a specific purpose-hunting, guarding, shepherding, etc-are only maintained through selective breeding. Puppy mills exist because people impulse buy “See that doggy in the window”..... Most people shouldn’t be allowed animals or kids. Kill the market, mills will go away. Puppy mills are not breeders.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Big difference between puppy mill and breeder. A breeder knows his dogs family tree, and whats behind it. There health and temperament. As a breeder I have changed over the years. When young was all about looks and wining in the show ring. Now it is all about temperament, then good health. Looks plays a much smaller part today. My dogs may not go Best in Show anymore, but they are loved members of families. Age changes outlook on life

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Big difference between puppy mill and breeder. A breeder knows his dogs family tree, and whats behind it. There health and temperament. As a breeder I have changed over the years. When young was all about looks and wining in the show ring. Now it is all about temperament, then good health. Looks plays a much smaller part today. My dogs may not go Best in Show anymore, but they are loved members of families. Age changes outlook on life
AAAANNDNNNDDDDD that is why my SIL's purebred collies cost her thousands of $'s every year in Vet bills. Every time she is assured of the family tree and every time she gets a genetically sick dog.
Not buyin' it. Sick puppies get put down after they are returned. Is this not abusive, to breed sick animals?
The exceptions make everybody think that breeders are kind. There are not enough owners for all of the dogs all over the world, yet breeders believe that they are responsible for "saving the breed." pfft

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
AAAaaaaaand... when you get one of those mutts from the rescues .... they are definately NOT immune against inherited genetic diseases no matter what some people say about genetic hybrid vigor. With purebred animals with known genetic faulty genes ,you can selectively breed that gene out of the gene pool for that breed using genetic testing . However, with mutts, You definately are playing Russian Rulet that gets you 2x -- 4 x chances of getting a dog with 2 to 4 or more types of inherited diseases ( possible from unknown parents to 4 unknown grandparents ) that also goes hand in hand to even more very EXPENSIVE vet bills. It all depends on what set of genes and combination of dominant, co- dominant , recessive genes , or modifier genes that an individual inherits. :old

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
As care taker for a Mutt-he has parts of at least 3-4+ breeds in him, he is allergic to everything. As owner Of PB dog in past, immune to just about anything. I used to be an advocate that mutts were healthier-no more.

Latest posts