Is it spring yet?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a friend that moved to Arizona years ago. She missed the snow so much they would drive to the mountains for Christmas. I will never grasp that thought. Oh to feel 50°right now!
LOL, we have had a very cold winter with little snow! YEAH. Sis disagrees, says if it is cold there should be snow. @AMKuska in the garden already! Ground is too hard to till in January or dirt to frozen to shovel and move even when there is no snow.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't you wish you could see a pic of what the property looked like with out the dirt? Your house may be just off the edge of a huge cliff, suspended on a fill of washed-in soil from who knows where.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't you wish you could see a pic of what the property looked like with out the dirt? Your house may be just off the edge of a huge cliff, suspended on a fill of washed-in soil from who knows where.
For years I have claimed to have a glacial deposit of topsoil here where we built our house. When we dug out the basement, there was not a bit of limestone to be seen, heck we didn't even find any rocks. Just a 13-feet deep basement area of black dirt that any farmer or gardener would be happy to grow in.

Now, it seems, that we did indeed find a treasure of glacial drift that settled in a hole around solid limestone bedrock. Six feet out from the house -- north, west, and south -- the drilling team hit solid rock. They didn't try going to the east because our utilities -- electricity, phone, well and sewer -- are all grouped there, but judging from the neighbors' low basement, there is limestone to the east as well.

So, I do picture a huge hole around my basement filled with black dirt from lands far to the north, scraped off by glacial movement, and surrounded on all sides by a ledge of solid limestone that was once the bed of an intercontinental ocean.

Who would'a figured?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh cripes, Red, that sucks! Hope it doesn't take too much longer...and isn't too loud, hammer drilling sounds like it might be. :/

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It could be a glacial deposit. It could be a pothole in that limestone that created a pond and eventually a marsh and eventually dry ground as plant and animal life lived and died in there. That would explain the no rocks.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It could be a glacial deposit. It could be a pothole in that limestone that created a pond and eventually a marsh and eventually dry ground as plant and animal life lived and died in there. That would explain the no rocks.
That does make sense as well. Especially the not having any rocks. Glacial drift usually carried at least the smaller rocks along with the sand, silt, and soil.

Thing is, our house is at the top of one of the highest points in Rock County with a gully running around us -- from the north going east of us down from the neighbor's property to the south, south of us running westerly and from our west side running north again off our property.

My BFF a mile up the road is also on high ground and has a spring fed pond on her property with a creek making much the same trip around her land.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:weeeSunshine and 54F today!! Chickens are all out free ranging.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunshine here, too. Temps are higher than predicted with the unexpected break in cloud cover -- at 35F. I left the coop door open this morning and the flock followed me as far as the grass. Once they hit snow, they all turned around and went back. I hope they are enjoying the sunshine and the outdoors.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was in the 50's with the sun shining and the wind really calm. A great day to be outside. The real benefit, it has not rained for a few days. The ground is still too wet to work but I can at least walk on most of it.

I enjoyed it, cleaned out a landscaping bed and hauled composted cow manure and spread it on the garden. A neighbor gave me three front end loaders of partially composted cow manure late last summer. it is now composted enough to put on the garden.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband informed me it would rain today. I told him it wouldn't, because I forbid it! I'm going outside even if I have to bring a row boat and an umbrella! Well, not a cloud in the sky even though we were scheduled for rain all week. I lift my ban on rain for tomorrow. I have to work so...rain away!

Latest posts