I've been Soft Soaped

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
I hate smelly soaps. I equally hate smelly cologne, laundry products, air fresheners......and the list goes on. The typical person takes a shower in let's say.......Irish Spring, washes his hair in Coconut Suave shampoo, rubs his armpits with Right Guard in some other awful scent, then dresses in clothes washed in Mountain Meadow Tide, which were tossed in the dryer with a Spring Flowers Bounce dryer sheet. Then he sits in a recliner that his wife dutifully sprayed with Summer Day Febreeze and breathes deeply in the fumes of Lysol Original Scent that kills germs. Really? REALLY? Then he splashes on some manly Brut or whatever the TV commercials tell him that women swoon over and he goes to the store. A really nice guy, walking down the aisle to get a gallon of milk and by this time, he stinks like a pile of 3 day old funeral flowers. (women too, only worse)

What is wrong with just smelling like CLEAN?

Read the labels.If you ingest most of this stuff, you better call poison controll. But rub it on your skin, breathe it in your lungs and walk around all day with a cloud following you like the Pigpen character in the Charlie Brown comic strip.

OK, I guess I have offended just about everybody. :lol: Rant Over.
I approve this mesage.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, are you ready for another story?

When I was working in Africa 4 degrees north of the equator, we had work crews working and living in very tight quarters offshore. Imagine 20 men working 12 hours a day in the African heat doing dirty hot hard physical construction work. They were eating in a small galley, watching TV in their off time in a small closed room. The bedrooms would sleep 4 people but they were close together. Maybe two were American or European and the rest were native Africans.

We did have showers on board but some of the Africans did not want to use them. Theyd work a week straight then go home to their family. The reason they objected to the shower is that they would lose their manly scent. They needed that scent when they went home or they would not smell manly. That would be a huge loss of face.

This situation was quite unpleasant for the Americans and Europeans. Some Africans werent real pleased with the situation either. It was very tight quarters. Negotiations were demanded and proceeded in good order. Positions were stated and both sides could appreciate the concerns of the other. They did work to reach an amicable solution.

Finally an acceptable compromise was reached. They would bathe, generously using soap, when they arrived on the work vessel and every day after work for four days. But the last three days before going home they were not required to bathe so they could take a manly scent home. The work conditions were such 4 degrees from the equator that they were able to achieve an acceptable manly scent in those three days.

My job was in an office onshore but I did regularly visit the work crews. I went on the weekend, within the first four days. I imagine that soap was highly scented but to be honest, that was not an issue.

Ill admit I embellished this a bit, but this situation and these results came from one of the offshore crews. Most of the Africans on that crew there were as glad of the relief as the American with them.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My husband will only use the Dove cucumber. Gets us clean and doesn't dry out our skin AND it holds together. Smells like we were out in the garden picking cukes all day! :) Nothing girly about it.

I tried to switch to Ivory, and he threw them ALL away and sent me back out for the dove. I've learned my lesson. They man is stuck in his ways, and I was the one who got him hooked on it. He used to swear by Dial, but never again! hehehehe

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, I would have hired all wimin to do the work!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I vote for wimin who use soaps, lotions & potions :).

Learning of my problems .

. . DD has brought me a bar of soap:

2uqbsd0.jpg

digitS'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, that's it.

It was a sample and came with its own wrapping.

I've washed my hands with it twice. Has an interesting fragrance, I suppose. Smell something like what I had for breakfast yesterday. Oatmeal with a pat of butter . . .

Steve