Kids Garden Class 2016

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kids class today and the weather was nice. The kids shed their jackets and we had sunshine on our heads while we worked. :)

The Big Fat Word was FOLIAGE, and we foliar fed our sad little embarrassing plants.
One of the girls asked if we could plant a regular garden in the DIRT! next year. :p
The corn has not sprouted, and I have a sinking feeling that the grasshoppers may have something to do with that. They seem to be liking my escarole a lot too. :rant

The kids asked if they could catch grasshoppers, which I heartily agreed to. They caught quite a few, we stuck them in a jar and then in the freezer during popsicle time. Then we trooped out to the chickens with them and they got a cold treat too.

Great grasshopper hunters. Nets for Hire.

DSCN3950.JPG

...And the girls can hold up their end in the hunt.

DSCN3951.JPG

We may not be growing a lot of vegetables successfully but at least we're enjoying the process. :)

DSCN3958.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a Wednesday class, right Thistle'?

I made a mistake when I was drawing parallels between your activities and mine last week but this started as a Saturday class. Yes?

Or, is it 2 days each week ... and can you really engage their interests enuf with gardening 2 mornings each week to generate those waves and smiles? Or, is it just the popsicles?

We broke outta the 70's earlier than the WS expected. @Gardening with Rabbits must be happy with that :). I was a little over-warm in the sun while working in the garden this morning. DW was elsewhere and claimed that it was cold but, she wasn't out in the sunshine.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a Wednesday class, right Thistle'?

I made a mistake when I was drawing parallels between your activities and mine last week but this started as a Saturday class. Yes?

Or, is it 2 days each week ... and can you really engage their interests enuf with gardening 2 mornings each week to generate those waves and smiles? Or, is it just the popsicles?

We broke outta the 70's earlier than the WS expected. @Gardening with Rabbits must be happy with that :). I was a little over-warm in the sun while working in the garden this morning. DW was elsewhere and claimed that it was cold but, she wasn't out in the sunshine.

Steve

I was happy with the weather, but I think I kind of over did it with the blood thinner.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

Yes, you're right, every Wednesday, and we did start out on Saturdays until school was out for summer. :)
I'm sure they could be engaged in gardening twice a week...the teacher
however would need a brain transplant.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
really like the butterfly net idea.... could use to catch cabbage moths...

@baymule both of us will not see 70's for a while.......... today will be in the upper 90's here

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would add grasshopper hunting to Wednesday curriculum each time. It's fun and you get rid of some. Plus even the chickens benefit.

The process is just as important as the harvest. Not having much of a harvest sometimes is teaching them the realities of gardening. It's not always roses. ;) or veggies :p.

The kids keep coming back so obviously you are doing something right and keeping it fun and interesting which is sometimes a challenge for us teachers.

Mary

Latest posts