Kitchen coming along ok.,

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've got a new tub coming here in a few weeks as we are doing an involuntary tub replacement...Mom's an excellent plumber, so she'll be doing all the hard stuff. Thank God!!! I'll be watching and learning.

can i borrow her in the future when i have to redo the utility shower? :) i may not return her she sounds like a keeper... heehee...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 23824 View attachment 23825 View attachment 23826 View attachment 23827 View attachment 23828
These are some of the demolition pictures,And pics of some of the new cabinets. We have a new gas range and dishwasher that match the fridge and microwave. I am also working on a peninsula where the wall was it is ready to be measured for granite but still just a frame I will be working on for the next couple of days . hopefully the counter tops can be milled and installed this week so it can get back to normal soon. Also will be installing new lighting when we find what we like.
Just as a heads up and please don't take it the wrong way as I just remodeled our kitchen and faced the same and then some other issues from the shody construction of the subdivision contractor and his illegal workers and a alcoholic drunk inspector ... you may have addressed these , but in the photos it appears that ... did you put in additional nails / screws into the sheetrock ? Yours appear to be too far apart as per code. the gap between the sheetrock over the range is way too wide and all joints have to be taped as per code. In case of fire the insurance companies would deny a claim as they would say the gaps inreased the rate of fire spread. The dark areas on the floor and wall apear to be moisture issues that need to be addressed. Otherwise , GOOD JOB !

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wowza!!!! That's a big project! How nice to be handy and know what you are doing when you do it. I wish I were better at such things and could tackle a big project like that without any fear of a major mess up.

I can't wait to see it all of one piece and finished. It already looks great thus far!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are on the way to such a nice, new home environment, Collector!!!

These repeat kitchen/bathroom remodels ...

It's why I say that these rooms should exist as "pods." Take the exterior wall out and install the entire room(s) as a unit - built elsewhere. Small house could include more than one room as a unit. These rooms with their plumbing and electrical are the most commonly remodeled. The process can take weeks and disrupt the entire home. We need to think about these things when new homes are built but remodeling for the owners is usually a decade or two down the road.

I had a "partial" bath remodel about 5 years ago. The utility room was even more partial - all that was done was a replacement of the ceiling. I live in fear that something will go wrong with the plumbing in that room. Worse, 220 electricity to the drier.

I made a mistake with ordering cheap vinyl for the bathroom floor. I can already see that it won't last. Oh well, the kitchen flooring has lasted much, much longer but ... it needs to be replaced. Then what? I replaced a kitchen sink valve this summer; can't remember when I did that before ... what, 15 years ago? DW hasn't complained about the cabinets, lately.

Nothing lasts forever. Planning could make these things a little easier and less expensive but we get trapped by a lack of past foresight.

Steve

Latest posts