Lavender

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
They 'talked' rain off and on for the first week of April. Yes, we had stormy weather and winds up the gazoo, but little precipitation. We got something like .004 of an inch in total. Not rain, IMHO, a good fog can do as well.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have bought and killed lavender almost 6 years in a row. I need to start it and replant in the Fall, and put it right next to my house. The property falls away from the foundation, so the drainage is really good, and THAT is what killed all of the others. Hi, my name is ducks4you and I am a lavender murderer.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found that lily of the valley takes a few attempts before it realizes you are serious about wanting it in your garden. It took me four tries with the white to get a stand and four tries with the pink and still I killed it out.

Once it gets a foothold, watch out! LOV is best when enclosed by concrete, brick, or other pavement where it can't spread.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found that lily of the valley takes a few attempts before it realizes you are serious about wanting it in your garden. It took me four tries with the white to get a stand and four tries with the pink and still I killed it out.

Once it gets a foothold, watch out! LOV is best when enclosed by concrete, brick, or other pavement where it can't spread.
ha!!! mine fooled you. It sent runners out to come up on the other side of the sidewalk over 3 feet away. :confused:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you know there is a lily of the valley substitute that doesn't do world domination? It's called False lily-of-the-valley, or Speirantha convallarioides. I just read about it in the June issue of Fine Gardening.

Which, not to change the topic, but have you seen the prices on magazines lately? My heart almost seized when it was rung up.
I used to subscribe for the multiple year option, which lapsed a few years back, when they were merely $4 a pop bought off the stand. :rolleyes: $7 now.
It's a tax deduction for me, but at prices like that, they sure better put some good info in there.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Overall I'd stay away from any Spanish Lavenders, they are not cold hardy enough.

How cold are your winters? If you're above zone 5, the standard English variety Lavendula augustifolia (sold under names like "Sachet" or "Royal Velvet" will do well and serve the purpose of oils for soaps and shampoos. If you're above zone 6 and you can find the variety Lavendula x intermedia/lavadin ("Gross", "Hidcote Giant", "Provence") would be your best bet. These produce a lot more oil than other varieties and are just beautiful, keeping in mind they need more room. Of course, they are a hybrid and will not produce true to seed, but you can divide the clumps in year 2 or 3.

You can also cover your lavender in hay, burlap, or other "overwintering" techniques to keep them safe.

Good luck!
Carlos

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have bought and killed lavender almost 6 years in a row. I need to start it and replant in the Fall, and put it right next to my house. The property falls away from the foundation, so the drainage is really good, and THAT is what killed all of the others. Hi, my name is ducks4you and I am a lavender murderer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You and me both...and my mother! But I'm trying again this year because I LOVE that stuff. I'm sprouting my own from seed this time....Hidcote and Pink Perfume spicata?...never heard of that one but it sounded pretty. Don't know if it will do well here but I'm willing to commit murder again in the attempt to grow lavender once again.

Here's a site that tells how to grow lavender...turns out I have all the wrong soil, have been using the wrong amendments and will also be using the wrong mulch this year as well. Oh, well...more murdered lavender on the way.

http://www.willowfieldlavender.com/GrowingLavender.aspx

I've recently learned from a UK garden site(and those folks seem to really know their lavender)that I need to cut it back completely each fall to keep it from forming too much "wood".

Last edited:

Latest posts