Lavender

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom does false lily of the valley have the heavy fragrance ? Friend who worked in very upscale flower shop in NYC used to get $25 for 5 stems , and would sale out at that price. People loved it for their bathrooms.
Oh my heavens I am RICH and did not know it. :thI have SO MUCH Lily of the valley. If I sold it at those prices I would have plenty of spending cash. ;)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will lavender live in Texas heat? Overwintering wouldn't be a problem, but what about scorching heat?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Different climates and types of lavender possibly do better with different care? I find that here, if I prune things back too much in Fall I will lose them, including roses and some perennials. I wish I had a sunny spot next to the foundation @ducks4you , I think that would work well for over wintering.

@baymule, a friend grows Grosso in your heat and it is big and beautiful! That one is not hardy enough for me. She purchased the plant years ago, prunes it back by about a third or more in late fall or very early Spring. Other than that it's on it's own. She has sandy, well draining soil and just plunked it in the ground. She sends me photos, to torment me. :D

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would be very hesitant to "cut back completely in fall" @Beekissed .
I agree with @Lavender2 that it could be the different climate that makes that successful, but my experience has been, first of all, not to trim back too much in the fall, just a light shear for neatness, then in the spring to cut back on the stem just enough to leave several inches of live buds. Too far down and all is lost! Just my opinion and experience.

By far I think the most critical requirement is sharp drainage, and full sun a close second.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Spanish lavender does quite well in San Diego. Almost all Mediteranean plants do. Unfortunately, although beautifull, it has no perfume and bees aren't Attracted to it.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a hillside I would love love love to plant rows of lavender on... Probably a project for another year. The current list of projects is almost ridiculous.

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've purchased Lavender twice through catalogs. First batch was a failure. 2nd batch just made it through its first winter and is looking good so far. 1/2 dozen plants only and I believe it is Munstead if I remember correctly. I want to try growing some from seed once we have the greenhouse up.

TReeves...Do you want to grow Lavender to put the flowers in your soap for the look or to scent the soap? If you are looking to scent the soap, use Lavender Essential Oil. The Lavender EO used most often for soap making is Lavender Oil 40/42. We use it in the lotions and gels we make. If you buy it, be VERY careful where you get it. There are a lot of less-than-reputable essential oil sellers both online and in stores and prices can vary by a lot. We have been buying ours from http://www.100pureessentialoils.com/ . Quality EO at good prices. (Lavender 40/42 is a blend of various lavender EOs to creates a consistent scent from batch to batch.)

Last edited:

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@MoonShadows I want the lavender for both for the flowers and scent. I have to be really careful about the scent though which is why I was looking at putting in the flowers. I'll look into the oil. So, far I've made rosemary and mint soap with just the plants and they've turned out smelling great.
I had part of a lung removed in December and for some reason lavender (overly scented) really messes with my respiratory system. I love the smell though!

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, I can see why you need to be careful. I have a friend that has a respiratory reaction to lavender essential oil as well.