let the seed-holic's meeting begin

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fedco has seemed to be an economical choice for me.

I was just counting some Asian greens packets that I have been dipping into for years!

Fortunately, some of these things have good shelf lives.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
While we are waiting for @thistlebloom to admit that artistry in landscaping carries over to flower arranging:

Seed Catalog 1918.jpg
One Hundred Years in 1918! Well, I guess that we can forgive them for not making it through another 100 ...

They introduced Hale's Best melons in 1927 says Victory Seed Co and that outfit sells several of their tomato varieties as well.

:D Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom are you good at arranging cut flowers?

Well of course! :lol: At least they make me happy, but a professional might have a different opinion.
I was allowed to put all the fresh bouquets together every week at the small nursery I worked for. It was fun, but I imagine once they got out of the store and into a vase they were quickly rearranged. ;)

I planted a cutting garden for one of my clients, trying to also keep it looking like a landscape bed as much as possible. She loves to arrange bouquets and put them all over her house. I have many ideas and get excited about the prospects of the bouquets she could create, but the
deer have so far ruined all the materials right before they get to the cutting stage.
Last year the lilies were about 4' tall and loaded with buds. I was diligently keeping them sprayed and the deer had left them alone until they were just at the cutting stage. Then overnight they ate every one of them. I got there in the morning ready to cut her a couple buckets of flowers and they were gone.
I was so angry I wanted to cry. Then hunt down a deer and beat it up.

So this year I will see if I can talk them into fencing it, or just plant one at my house and cut her flowers every morning.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a see aholic and I take one day at a time. That is I try to select at least one seed a day.
Well of course! :lol: At least they make me happy, but a professional might have a different opinion.
I was allowed to put all the fresh bouquets together every week at the small nursery I worked for. It was fun, but I imagine once they got out of the store and into a vase they were quickly rearranged. ;)

I planted a cutting garden for one of my clients, trying to also keep it looking like a landscape bed as much as possible. She loves to arrange bouquets and put them all over her house. I have many ideas and get excited about the prospects of the bouquets she could create, but the
deer have so far ruined all the materials right before they get to the cutting stage.
Last year the lilies were about 4' tall and loaded with buds. I was diligently keeping them sprayed and the deer had left them alone until they were just at the cutting stage. Then overnight they ate every one of them. I got there in the morning ready to cut her a couple buckets of flowers and they were gone.
I was so angry I wanted to cry. Then hunt down a deer and beat it up.

So this year I will see if I can talk them into fencing it, or just plant one at my house and cut her flowers every morning.
I have a cure for the deer eating the lilies, but it may not be appealing to your client-an old native trick. I take it you mean asiatics because those are the one's they started nibbling on at my house. I cannot put in writing the ones that they did not eat as it might be bad luck. At night fall I had my husband go and mark his territory. I also did some "collection" of my own and put it by the asiatics.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a see aholic and I take one day at a time. That is I try to select at least one seed a day.

I have a cure for the deer eating the lilies, but it may not be appealing to your client-an old native trick. I take it you mean asiatics because those are the one's they started nibbling on at my house. I cannot put in writing the ones that they did not eat as it might be bad luck. At night fall I had my husband go and mark his territory. I also did some "collection" of my own and put it by the asiatics.

Thanks Cat. Already tried that method. It would work where the deer are more respectful, but these deer I have to deal with in town are insolent thuggy beasts.
I got a slingshot last season and carry it in my back pocket. I have succeeded in pinging them, but it only makes me feel a little better. They are not deterred. :(

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Cat. Already tried that method. It would work where the deer are more respectful, but these deer I have to deal with in town are insolent thuggy beasts.
I got a slingshot last season and carry it in my back pocket. I have succeeded in pinging them, but it only makes me feel a little better. They are not deterred. :(
That sounds like fun. You must have many more deer than I do.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not here at my house, but the neighborhood in town where 4 of my jobs are they are rampant. I don't know if the city has any plans for dealing with them, but it's so terrible now that stuff that I used to be confident that they wouldn't decimate is off the table. They have absolutely no fear and will browse during the day just a few feet away from an open door with dogs in the house. The dogs are soon scared of them, because the deer will chase and strike the dogs.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
No matter how I try I can not make a good cut flower arrangement. It always comes out like flowers where shoved in vase. My oldest friend is very talented, he worked at super upscale florist, tried many times to teach me and failed.

Latest posts