let the seed-holic's meeting begin

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used my list to order online from Territorial yesterday. Yikes, that put a dent in my wallet.

Of course the snap pea I really wanted was sold out. (Sugar Magnolia) And I really wanted it, I wanted it so bad I went hunting for it and found it on Baker Creeks site. We all know that shipping for one packet of seeds is ridiculous so I browsed through the flowers too.

They sucked me right in and I ended up with a $40 order. Oh my.
But they are going to make a spectacular cutting garden!
Now I need to find a place to put a cutting garden...

If I could have devoted more time to my search I might have been able to get everything from one source, but looking at multiple seed sites starts to get too confusing and my brain blows up.
I fee that way, too, Thistle. Then you end up buying things you really had no intention of getting, to make the shipping reasonable. When you receive the package, you will be thinking they mixed up your order, with all those strange seeds in there!:barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Territorial has become a super company but it has always been expensive. At least, that has been my assessment.

They now have a great selection and I appreciate that the days to maturity, etc. seem to be based on their own test gardens, there in Oregon's cool Coastal Range.

Victory Seed has reasonable DTM, also.

Finally got through the seed inventory, this morning! Once I realised that ordering onion seed would not be needed, I lapsed into laziness last month. Deficit in the pepper category, however.

Got the rosemary, bok choy and spinach watered in the greenhouse. The 8 buckets of packed snow I put in there Wednesday finally melted, or nearly so.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think Territorial is in the high range too, and their shipping was over twice what I paid at Baker Creek.
BC has a deal for free shipping on any orders placed in the 6 months following your order. That's such a great idea I may be tempted to order again to take advantage of it! Haha.

But what made it easier for me to order from Ter. this year was being able to look through the catalog and make a list first.
I didn't get many seed catalogs. I guess I haven't ordered seed for a few years. Just been using stuff up and getting the odd packet or two from the feed store.

Speaking of odd, has anybody ever grown strawberry spinach before?
I ordered it for the kids, thought they might get a kick out of it.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think Territorial is in the high range too, and their shipping was over twice what I paid at Baker Creek.
BC has a deal for free shipping on any orders placed in the 6 months following your order. That's such a great idea I may be tempted to order again to take advantage of it! Haha.
Speaking of odd, has anybody ever grown strawberry spinach before?
I ordered it for the kids, thought they might get a kick out of it.
Agreed about Territorial being a bit pricey, but I would not hesitate to recommend them as a source for Northern gardeners. Their "Pizza Pepper" is one of my all-time favorites, and is one of the few vegetable varieties I grow every year.

Strawberry spinach is an interesting plant, but keep it under control. It is related to lamb's quarter, and according to the USDA, is native (???) all the way up to Alaska... so very hardy. Left to its own devices, you might end up with a very pretty weed.:ep

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well if it goes rampant it will be in good company with all the lambs quarters and purslane and red rooted pig weed that cover most of the bare ground around here already. :confused:
Are the berries actually sweet as advertised?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You think Territorial is pricey, look at somewhere like Richter's Seed Zoo or Joe Simcox's Rare Seeds Consortium. There prices are on the average of $5-$6 per packet!. I know that, being exceptionally rare seeds the price is fully justified, but price is price.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
I placed my 2nd order for seeds, this time with FedCo. Free shipping so no issues there. Mostly different lettuce, open polinated carrots and peppers, along with some yellow beets.

Holding out on the Johnny's order a little longer. Hoping they will send a coupon code for free shipping or so much off the order. I wanted to use my $21 that's left on my gift card to order at the greenhouse but I know there are some seeds I can only get directly by ordering from the source. I wish Johnny's would have cheaper shipping for just seed orders.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used my list to order online from Territorial yesterday. Yikes, that put a dent in my wallet.

Of course the snap pea I really wanted was sold out. (Sugar Magnolia) And I really wanted it, I wanted it so bad I went hunting for it and found it on Baker Creeks site. We all know that shipping for one packet of seeds is ridiculous so I browsed through the flowers too.

They sucked me right in and I ended up with a $40 order. Oh my.
But they are going to make a spectacular cutting garden!
Now I need to find a place to put a cutting garden...

If I could have devoted more time to my search I might have been able to get everything from one source, but looking at multiple seed sites starts to get too confusing and my brain blows up.
Silly goose, I could have gotten Sugar Magnolia for you from the Baker Creek store in Petaluma.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I decided not to buy the Heinz tomatoes from Territorial. Shipping seemed high. I went with Baker Creek and Trade Winds Fruit, but the packages are small. I thought I could just buy some Sungold and Super Sweet 100 cherry tomato seeds at ACE. I had a $5 coupon and did not look at how many seeds in the package. Only 10 seeds for $3.49 Botanical Interests. Onion seeds same company was $1.79. Now I realize why I was out of those seeds. Seems like I just bought them last year.

Latest posts