let the seed-holic's meeting begin

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The worst thing is when you are near other a seed-o-holic.
Then it happens like this:
- Hello, I'm Lara. I have a huge box with seeds. I want to share with you, because for 3 years and I can not plant it all.
- Yeah? You Share, of course. And you have pepper - cherry?
- Pepper - cherry? No.
- Do you want to plant?
- I want to, of course.
blush.gif

Next to the pepper is attached a long list of other seeds. And I once again with full box ... Where to be treated?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I've read, and I think I once posted here, that there was found in the Tower of London, a parcel that was taken from a looted Dutch ship over 5 hundred years earlier by English privateers, the parcel contained seeds gathered by a Dutch botanist traveling on the captured ship. Many of the seeds when planted sprouted as if they had been gathered the year before.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've read, and I think I once posted here, that there was found in the Tower of London, a parcel that was taken from a looted Dutch ship over 5 hundred years earlier by English privateers, the parcel contained seeds gathered by a Dutch botanist traveling on the captured ship. Many of the seeds when planted sprouted as if they had been gathered the year before.

Have you heard of Methuselah a 2000 year old date tree? I am keeping my old seeds.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I ordered seeds, went through my seeds and have a list. I do not have a lot of new things, but have Stuttgarter onion, Verde da Taglio Swiss chard, Yolo peppers, Thelma Sanders winter squash, Abe Lincoln tomatoes, Marglobe tomatoes, Black Vernissage tomatoes, which were free from Baker Creek. I am going to look for another kind of onion and probably tomato, but it is early yet. I am looking at some yellow pepper seed if I decide to buy some asparagus plants at Direct Gardening. I bought asparagus from them before with their 1 cent sale and they did great. I am thinking about the strawberries there too.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sat down today and made a list for this years Kid Garden.
I'm keeping it simple, at least I'm only buying from one source, and going to use up seed I have to fill in the gaps.

I'm afraid to add it all up though, probably need to moonlight somewhere to pay the seed bill. :eek:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I made my only seed order and still didn't get the Toscano kale seed again. My first attempt at ordering produced a shipping bill that was over 25% of the cost of the seeds. Naw, I don't want to do that. $38 order, $10 shipping. Cancel that order. Hmmm, I guess I got spoiled by Amazon. :rolleyes:
I have been puzzling over whether Marconi peppers and Giant Marconi F1 hybrid was the same thing. I see, according to Totally Tomatoes, that it is not. The Giant Marconi hybrid is smaller than the Marconi. Go figure. I don't know if the seed I planted last year was saved from hybrid (a couple years ago) or not. They did so pitifully, and it may have been due to planting conditions, or it might be because I inadvertently saved seeds from a hybrid that I didn't know was a hybrid.
So, I am buying new seed to plant. I think I will plant at least one from the saved seed, to see if there are differences. Hopefully raising the bed will keep the plants' feet dry and happy.
I also bought some different tomato seeds. I am striving for disease resistance, particularly early and late blight, and BER. I placed an order with Totally Tomatoes. Their prices are good. Honestly, I can't even remember what I ordered, except for a mixed packet of various colored cherry tomatoes. I figured my grandkids would get a kick out of them.

I was disappointed with my local garden center's selection of seed today. I think they would rather sell plants.
At least I was able to get some potting mix, so I will be ready to plant seeds when they get here. The peppers, anyway. I am going to take my time with planting; don't want to have a bunch of overgrown plants hanging around, with no place to put them, in May when the weather turns on us.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am sick this year. Really, really sick. I can't seem to get over it, there is no treatment. Normally I am drooling over colored pages of catalogs and circling the ones I want. I haven't done that........Normally I am reading all the comments on various seeds........I haven't done that either....... I am comforted by the fact that I have two buckets of seed, but I know that is not enough. I hopefully will recover from this terrible malady soon and can make a bodacious order of seeds!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sat down today and made a list for this years Kid Garden.
I'm keeping it simple, at least I'm only buying from one source, and going to use up seed I have to fill in the gaps.

I'm afraid to add it all up though, probably need to moonlight somewhere to pay the seed bill. :eek:

I used my list to order online from Territorial yesterday. Yikes, that put a dent in my wallet.

Of course the snap pea I really wanted was sold out. (Sugar Magnolia) And I really wanted it, I wanted it so bad I went hunting for it and found it on Baker Creeks site. We all know that shipping for one packet of seeds is ridiculous so I browsed through the flowers too.

They sucked me right in and I ended up with a $40 order. Oh my.
But they are going to make a spectacular cutting garden!
Now I need to find a place to put a cutting garden...

If I could have devoted more time to my search I might have been able to get everything from one source, but looking at multiple seed sites starts to get too confusing and my brain blows up.

Latest posts